Replacing 2015 HID Bulbs - Hyundai Sonata Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 08-29-2014, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Replacing 2015 HID Bulbs

Does any one know how to change out the HID bulbs on the 2015 Sonata? I bought the 5000K bulbs and brought them to the dealership and they told me they'd have to remove the front bumper in order to change the bulbs ~ $275 for two hours' labor!

2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport 2.0T Ultimate Package
2013 Kia Optima SX Limited
2011 Kia Optima Hybrid
2011 Lexus HS250h Premium
2010 Acura ZDX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-29-2014, 07:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to RichB Send a message via Yahoo to RichB
never have aftermarket work done at a dealership. they will rip you a new one. try a car audio place that is local but check their reviews and make sure they do quality work.

unfortunately 2015 is a new model but i'm sure you do have to remove the bumper in order to remove the headlights to change the bulb.

how far is alexandria from herndon, va?

2013 Hyundai Sonata SE - Radiant Silver

~Plastidipaholic~

Follow me on Instagram & Twitter: @beachbum561fla and @hybridphotographyfl

Be sure to give my wife and I's photography fan page a "like" on Facebook at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-29-2014, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Herdon is about 40 miles from Alexandria. When I had my Kia Optima, the dealer did it for nothing.

post #4 of 20 Old 08-30-2014, 11:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to RichB Send a message via Yahoo to RichB
ah your pretty far from my hotel....i would just check around local shops

2013 Hyundai Sonata SE - Radiant Silver

~Plastidipaholic~

Follow me on Instagram & Twitter: @beachbum561fla and @hybridphotographyfl

Be sure to give my wife and I's photography fan page a "like" on Facebook at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-03-2014, 10:11 PM

What bulb type does the 2015 model use? Do they still use H7?
post #6 of 20 Old 09-04-2014, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastarius View Post
What bulb type does the 2015 model use? Do they still use H7?
The HID type is D3S and only at 4300K.

2011 Kia Optima Hybrid
2010 Acura ZDX
post #7 of 20 Old 10-19-2014, 09:04 AM

So did you get the HID bulb replaced?
post #8 of 20 Old 10-21-2014, 07:20 PM

Unfortunately you do need to take the bumper off to get to the housing seal cap. Had the same problem with my 2014 but luckily for me I work for Hyundai so I had one of my dealers do it for $40. I'd deffinately follow what RichB said. He's pretty realiable

2014 Hyundai Sonata Limited Radiant Silver w/ Technology Package. Mods include: Black Plasti-dipped rear badges, front grille, and custom limited badge, Tinted windows (15% back and 30% front), after market DDM 6000K HID low beams
post #9 of 20 Old 10-24-2014, 03:24 PM

Just did exactly this last Friday. Bought D3S 6000k HID bulb and replaced with OEM one. As mentioned above, it requires removal of front bumper because each headlight housing have 3 bolts and one of them is hidden under the bumper.

If you have experience with removing the front bumper, this shouldn't be much of issue, but if you haven't then I would recommend going to local body shop or reach out to fellow handyman.

Should you attempt this yourself, quick advise would be have a magnetic Philips driver ready, which will come handy once you open up the dust cap of the housing. The bulb is held by a metal bridge(? for lack of better word) and tightened with two small bolts which need to be unscrewed if you are to remove the OEM bulb. It's really easy for that bolt to fall into the housing if you are not careful. (Boy I wished I had one of those magnetic ones when I encountered it)

Good luck and you'll enjoy matching color of HID and low LED DRL once you got them done.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-28-2014, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by elorin View Post
Just did exactly this last Friday. Bought D3S 6000k HID bulb and replaced with OEM one. As mentioned above, it requires removal of front bumper because each headlight housing have 3 bolts and one of them is hidden under the bumper.

If you have experience with removing the front bumper, this shouldn't be much of issue, but if you haven't then I would recommend going to local body shop or reach out to fellow handyman.

Should you attempt this yourself, quick advise would be have a magnetic Philips driver ready, which will come handy once you open up the dust cap of the housing. The bulb is held by a metal bridge(? for lack of better word) and tightened with two small bolts which need to be unscrewed if you are to remove the OEM bulb. It's really easy for that bolt to fall into the housing if you are not careful. (Boy I wished I had one of those magnetic ones when I encountered it)

Good luck and you'll enjoy matching color of HID and low LED DRL once you got them done.
Thanks for the info ~ I went back to the dealer to check whether they'd found an easier way to do it and the answer was a big fat "NO"!

2011 Kia Optima Hybrid
2010 Acura ZDX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Sonata Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page