SSS = Stock Stereo SUCKS ! - Hyundai Sonata Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
SSS = Stock Stereo SUCKS !

If anybody has managed to get the stock system to sound good, please post here so I can experiment a bit on my own. I really like having the voice command system and phone controls on the Steering wheel.

The stock system in my 2012 Sonata GLS was weak by my wife's standards. She is blind and really into music in a big way, so stereo system upgrades were mandatory.

First I replaced the door speakers with some 4 ohm Kenwood coaxial units and ditched the tweets for a pair of 3.5" full range units (ran my own wires too). I didn't know the stock stuff was 2 ohm - Oh, well. The sound was better, but as power levels increased the 'THOOP-THOOP-THOOP' of the pathetic bass cutoff got really irritating. It sounds like somebody was beating a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a 4 pound hammer. It just plain sucked....

Second, I picked up an LC8i processor, a nice old equalizer, and a couple of amps along with an 8" sub. I tried like crazy to filter out that awful roll-off at about 350 hz and even out the sound, but it just wouldn't go away - even after blending all the frequencies through the LC8i. Got to a point where I would DREAD going for a drive or commuting to work.

Finally, I replaced the unit with an aftermarket Kenwood left over from my old car, sold off all the other components (except speakers), and now enjoy a superb listening experience.

I lost my steering wheel phone controls and voice command system, but I actually enjoy DRIVING again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-05-2013, 04:58 PM

(Disclaimer- I am no expert, but have a descent amount of experience with sound systems)

Well it sounds to me like you've already solved your sound problem.

But if you wanted to keep the factory head unit and create some awesome sound, this it what I would try! (and will be doing shortly!)

Your cutoff is from not having enough power from your factory unit to power the speakers at that high of a level. As for swapping out your tweeters, I would go ahead and say leave them as they produce the "tweets" or the highs in the music.

First I would replace all 4 door speakers with high quality speakers capable of producing high quality sound. Your looking for something that can handle
a high continuous power load, or "watts". Along with built in tweeter's to give you that "high Range" in sound. Here is a link to some.
Car Speakers Review 2013 | Best Car Sound | Compare Best Car Speakers - TopTenREVIEWS

And a link to replacing them.
Hyundai Sonata Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement Guide - 2011, 2012, 2013 Model Years - Picture Illustrated Instructions

After that I would run a door speaker amplifier to all 4 door speakers. This should make your bass cutoff disappear. As well as make your speakers sound EXCEPTIONALLY clear to the ear. This would take care of handeling the "mids" in the sound, as well as make the high's sound much clearer.

Here's a link to a reference as to what to look at.
Best Car Amplifiers – Compare Reviews and Rankings | Bestcovery

Then to hand the bass. In order to keep the factory unit you will need to get an RCA convertor. Or this.
Scosche SLC4 Four-channel line output converter at Crutchfield.com

A scosche convertor. It converts from stock speaker wire to RCA output so you can run your RCA jacks to your sub.

I've written a DIY on this on this forum
DIY- Sub/Amp Install With A Stock Radio - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum

All you might wanna do after that point is research some better than stock tweeters to swap out in the front.

After that you would have an awesome system with the stock head-unit and you keep all your steering wheel options and clean appearance.

Any questions or comments u can message me.

Hope that helps. repko
post #3 of 4 Old 01-05-2013, 05:05 PM

I believe your LC8i processor is more of a "fine tuning" deal.

Adding more watts or power is just a little perk from it and should be done with an actual amplifier.

I could be wrong on this but from my knowledge and experience that's what I know.

post #4 of 4 Old 01-05-2013, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
You are correct. The LC8 is a signal processor and doesn't add power to any significant degree. All I am using it for is filtering out hiss, crackle, and whatnot and blending the signals to the speakers. The amps are what brings power to the table. I'm using some old German motorcycle amps, they're tiny, fit behind the dash with the new head unit, don't generate much heat, and the sound quality is surprisingly good.

The sub gets power from an old school marine amp that I mounted in the trunk. It's a huge amp for what it does, but the specs were there and the price was right. At $15 for a high quality amp I would have built a box for it if I needed to, but I just have it hanging under the rear deck next to the sub in its stock location where it's out of the way.

Last edited by TourDeForce; 01-05-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Sonata Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page