Premium in 2015 Turbo? - Hyundai Sonata Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-12-2015, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Premium in 2015 Turbo?

Hey everyone,

I'm curious to see if anybody has tried running premium gas in their 2015 Sonata Turbo. I know that Hyundai says it's designed to run on 87 octane..so I'm not really sure it'll make a difference. However I'm getting some pretty low MPG's (about 19 MPG when they call for 23 city..) Also curious to see if it improves power at all.

If anyone has tried it let me know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-12-2015, 02:39 PM

Hello mtor92,

Running a higher octane will give you better MPG but it also depends on how you drive the car. If you floor it, you are not going to get the best gas mileage. Also keep in mind the weather has a huge factor on the MPG as well. As far as power improving, if you use 93, it will give you a few extra ponies, but then again if you push the pedal all the way down, you are not going to notice a better MPG.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-12-2015, 11:13 PM

I have about 375 miles on my new 2015 Sport 2.0t now and this is what I have observed. Unless provoked the system likes to stay on a top gear even at low speeds which for a 4 cylinder makes for very poor response until the turbo is asked to intervene. I don’t really want to have to goose it when at casual driving. I thought that to be normal because it is the first 4 cylinder I’d driven for a while and on the test drive I drove one harder so I didn’t notice it. It seemed to bog for a while before requiring a downshift to respond. I know characteristically turbo engines even small ones required premium fuel that is until I saw that Hyundai was stating regular fuel so I’m sure the first tank which by the dealer was just that. Looking to see if premium fuel even though not required would make a difference at low speed response I start using it from my first fill up. I can’t for sure say that the car has more power I can say that the low speed response is much better and I did pickup a couple more MPGs. So for me since I won’t be driving “Balls to wall” too often if ever I can say it works for me. The engine “seems” smoother and I’m satisfied with the low end response. Best I can say is try it see if you notice a difference.

2015 Black Sport 2.0T Limited package
2015 Genesis AWD ultimate

post #4 of 10 Old 01-13-2015, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie3647 View Post
I have about 375 miles on my new 2015 Sport 2.0t now and this is what I have observed. Unless provoked the system likes to stay on a top gear even at low speeds which for a 4 cylinder makes for very poor response until the turbo is asked to intervene. I don’t really want to have to goose it when at casual driving. I thought that to be normal because it is the first 4 cylinder I’d driven for a while and on the test drive I drove one harder so I didn’t notice it. It seemed to bog for a while before requiring a downshift to respond. I know characteristically turbo engines even small ones required premium fuel that is until I saw that Hyundai was stating regular fuel so I’m sure the first tank which by the dealer was just that. Looking to see if premium fuel even though not required would make a difference at low speed response I start using it from my first fill up. I can’t for sure say that the car has more power I can say that the low speed response is much better and I did pickup a couple more MPGs. So for me since I won’t be driving “Balls to wall” too often if ever I can say it works for me. The engine “seems” smoother and I’m satisfied with the low end response. Best I can say is try it see if you notice a difference.
Thanks for the response! My Sonata had the same problem yours has with the bogging when I first got it..but with 2200 miles on it now I feel that it's gotten a little better. I know automatic transmissions take a little bit to adapt and learn the driving styles of a driver, so it could be that (or it could just be that I got used to driving the car.)

Either way I think I'll run this tank low and fill it up with premium to see if I notice a difference because while it's gotten better, it's not totally gone. It's worth a shot! What type of gas mileage are you getting?
post #5 of 10 Old 01-14-2015, 10:12 AM

I can't wait till my '13 2.0T is empty from the dealer tank, I have an 93 octane E0 station near my work I want to try out, it's $3.45gal, which considering the benifits, I think it'll be worth the extra $15 or something. I'm expecting a good increase in MPGs and power.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-14-2015, 11:00 AM

Right now with 450 miles on the clock I'm getting 25 to 26 MPG with combined driving actually measured.
That's a 4 MPG increase over the regular tank. Of course my driving is conservative and I'm still within the breakin window.
I stand by my earlier assesment the idle is smoother and the cold start is better less vibration.
I'll keep using premium for a while then try a tank of regular at about 2000 miles to confirm.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-14-2015, 09:44 PM

I've got about 2k miles on my 2015 turbo, and I've been running 93 since about 800 miles. Noticed a slight increase in power and mpg. Getting about 27 mpg in the city if I'm nice to it and definitely runs more smoothly!
post #8 of 10 Old 01-16-2015, 08:49 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lrrambo
better mileage on turbo 2.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior420 View Post
I can't wait till my '13 2.0T is empty from the dealer tank, I have an 93 octane E0 station near my work I want to try out, it's $3.45gal, which considering the benifits, I think it'll be worth the extra $15 or something. I'm expecting a good increase in MPGs and power.

I have a 2012 2.0L limited, 22,000 miles. Long ago I changed to premium fuel @ 91 octane, noticed a boost in power under full throttle and when cruising at 75-80 mph across Kansas the mpg increased to best ever, 34 mpg! Got even better MPG in New Mexico but that was at 20-25 mph following a semi during a 3+ hour snowstorm at night. Had to stay in his tracks, snow polished all the plastic panels under the engine. Stock Kumo tires really suck in the snow. I know premium is extra cost but for me, I'll stick with it.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-16-2015, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrrambo View Post
I have a 2012 2.0L limited, 22,000 miles. Long ago I changed to premium fuel @ 91 octane, noticed a boost in power under full throttle and when cruising at 75-80 mph across Kansas the mpg increased to best ever, 34 mpg! Got even better MPG in New Mexico but that was at 20-25 mph following a semi during a 3+ hour snowstorm at night. Had to stay in his tracks, snow polished all the plastic panels under the engine. Stock Kumo tires really suck in the snow. I know premium is extra cost but for me, I'll stick with it.
All signs point to using premium, so that's what I'll do! Have about a quarter tank of gas right now so I'll drive it until the light comes on and fill it up with premium and give it a shot.

Thanks everyone!
post #10 of 10 Old 08-18-2016, 01:29 PM

Hello all:
Here is my 2 cents. I own a 2006 LX 3.3L V6 Sonata. I was told I should get 18/27 mpg. When my wife drives it, she is getting 21 mpg combined. (Using the internal gauge). When I have it for a few days I'm running at 23 mpg. (all using 87 Octane). When strictly being used for long Highway trips, I always fuel up on 91/93 octane. I can get 30 mpg easily. You will find that re-learning how to drive can really go a long way in bumping up the cars mpg. Now compare that to my 2009 GLX 3.3L V6 Sonata. I was told I should get 19/29 mpg. I'm usually running mostly highway & I find the car stays in the 25 mpg range. Throw in 91/93 Octane and I'm easily in the 35 mpg range. I know Hyundai no longer makes the 6 Cylinders, but I have been blessed with them. Note, in comparison; My neighbor used my 2006 car for a week & only managed 15 mpg combined. So to each his own.
FYI, these cars are not modified in any way, (that I know off).
L8r all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Sonata Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page