2008 - Crank Rod Problem - Hyundai Sonata Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-16-2012, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Unhappy 2008 - Crank Rod Problem

Anyone else have an engine issue with your 2008. I am around 75K miles and it started making a ticking noise in the engine. I took it in and they said that the engine was getting ready to "hand grenade". Apparently, the cap on the crank rod came off and it was banging around inside. I had the oil changed at the dealership the first 36k miles, because I did the prepaid oil changes. I have been maintaining the oil changes myself and have not seen any signs of engine issues. They pulled the oil pan off and found metal shavings in the pan from where the rod was banging around. I changed the oil as recently as the end of January and the oil looked normal. This problem developed very quickly, so if anyone has an '08 that the engine starts ticking - DRIVE straight to the dealership. I have seen a few other comments on the net about the same thing happening around the same mileage 70-80k. One post said that corporate detemined it was faulty bolts on the crank rod cap from the factory. I am wondering if mine is the same. Any insight would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-17-2012, 12:47 AM

what type of ticking is it? i have an 08 v6. do you have a 4 banger or 6?
post #3 of 11 Old 05-24-2012, 10:03 AM

The same thing started happening to ours and when we took it to a dealer, they said that there was sludge on the oil cap and wouldn't touch it under warrenty since we voided it. Took it to another mechanic and he said he couldn't figure out what was happening. This was a year ago. Yesterday, I was driving down a highway 2 hours from home and the rod and piston came flying out of the bottom of the engine and now they are wanting all oil change history to do any work. If it is a faulty bolt issue, then where can I find this info? Thanks!

post #4 of 11 Old 07-05-2012, 08:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to karlson002 Send a message via Skype™ to karlson002
That's the same thing one of my friend was facing.........
post #5 of 11 Old 07-05-2012, 05:11 PM

wow.. rod bearings with exploding motors,. that sucks..
post #6 of 11 Old 01-27-2013, 12:41 AM

To firefighter602;2521 cap bolts on crank

I mam the guy who told the world about the crank bolt problems because when my 2008 4 cyl sonata blew up their was around 67 k and Hyundai told me it was because they had used defective bolts in the factory when I brought it in, and yes they tried to stick it to me because I changed the oil myself and never took it to places to have it done, guess it pays to be lazy, Hyundai put a new motor in my car and that engine.started to come apart just like the first one I found metal shavings in my pan and its ticking like crazy, the first time the cap came off the piston rod and shoved it through cyl 2&3 this time I shut it down before it catastrophically failed , called Hyundai and they basically said bend over and stick it, sucks to be you because my car had over 100 k although the new motor only had 65 k just like the first one, Hyundai does not back there products and will stickit to you if you give them the slightest chance to. My advice to everyone is DO NOT BUY A HYUNDAI, xlx_subzero_xlx at oohay dot com
post #7 of 11 Old 04-06-2013, 08:45 AM

My daugthers 2008 Hyundia Sonata, with 107,+ started knocking. She had it towed to the dealer. They told her it was the rod bearings. This is what I first through when I checked it out for her. Thanks for the info about the rod caps and bolts. We might have something to fight with now.

Steve
post #8 of 11 Old 05-06-2013, 04:55 PM
EDP

Just leased 2013 Sonata May 1 & noticed a very audible tapping/ticking noise. Going back to dealer on May 7 to check noise. Will post report.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-13-2014, 04:38 PM

engine trouble

My 2008 is making a terrible ticking noise the dealer doesnt want anything to do with it because i had the oil changes done at places other than the dealership. it has 65,000 miles. anyone know if theirs anything i can do?
post #10 of 11 Old 01-14-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brends View Post
My 2008 is making a terrible ticking noise the dealer doesnt want anything to do with it because i had the oil changes done at places other than the dealership. it has 65,000 miles. anyone know if theirs anything i can do?
take it to another dealer. I dont know what they're being all smarmy for over a couple $20 dollar oil changes.

Ask them to prove that outside oil changes are the fault and then tell them to feck themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Sonata Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page