Time for new tires on my 2011 sonata! - Hyundai Sonata Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 01-17-2012, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Time for new tires on my 2011 sonata!

My treads are shot on two of the tires with only 30k! Now I am unfortunately looking for a new set of all season tires. The OEMs are Kumho Solud KH25. Save to say I will not be getting these disasters again.

Currently looking at the Michelin Primacy MKV4s and the Hankook h727s. size=205/65/16

The Michelins speed rating is an H (Hankook is T I believe) which is suggested for the 2011 sonata gls and I don’t mind shelling out the extra for a better tire, if it is better. Not sure if T and H are much different. I've only had H+ on past cars.

The hankooks are more price friendly and seem to be as good as the Michelins. Anyone have any experience with these tires? Tirerack gives a $70 rebate on the Michelins making the total only about 10 bucks more each tire than the hankooks. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-18-2012, 01:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveulysses View Post
My treads are shot on two of the tires with only 30k! Now I am unfortunately looking for a new set of all season tires. The OEMs are Kumho Solud KH25. Save to say I will not be getting these disasters again.

Currently looking at the Michelin Primacy MKV4s and the Hankook h727s. size=205/65/16

The Michelins speed rating is an H (Hankook is T I believe) which is suggested for the 2011 sonata gls and I don’t mind shelling out the extra for a better tire, if it is better. Not sure if T and H are much different. I've only had H+ on past cars.

The hankooks are more price friendly and seem to be as good as the Michelins. Anyone have any experience with these tires? Tirerack gives a $70 rebate on the Michelins making the total only about 10 bucks more each tire than the hankooks. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
T speed rating is 118mph, H is 140mph. Generally go with the oem tire speed rating or higher. I like the H727s myself... want a set for mine, but they don't make my size

If you want more selection and cheaper prices you can get a different size tire... 215/60R16. The reasons why Hyundai goes with the 205/65R16 are for fuel economy; less contact, and slightly taller tire (better for hwy mpg).

09 3.3 Limited
-----------------
Custom 3" CAI
Custom 2.5" CBE
Front strut bar
H&R Springs
12.6" 2pot BBK
Azera rear sway bar
NST pulley
BTRcc Tuned
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 30 Old 01-20-2012, 06:17 PM

Do speed ratings really make that much of a difference? Some people say you should pay attention to the speed rating when buying tires while some other say don't bother with it.

post #4 of 30 Old 01-20-2012, 10:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonataFan View Post
Do speed ratings really make that much of a difference? Some people say you should pay attention to the speed rating when buying tires while some other say don't bother with it.
Generally speaking, the higher the speed rating the better the performance... but doesn't always apply. Really depends on your driving style. If you're not going over 100mph and hard cornering on a daily basis, you should be find with the S speed. If you do occasional hard cornering, etc. then go with something higher like H or above.

I go with the performance categories on tirerack. The tires I buy tend to be in the high and ultra high all-season performance category as those tend to have better all around performance and they usually have a higher speed rating.

TireRack's classifications of the speed ratings

09 3.3 Limited
-----------------
Custom 3" CAI
Custom 2.5" CBE
Front strut bar
H&R Springs
12.6" 2pot BBK
Azera rear sway bar
NST pulley
BTRcc Tuned
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 30 Old 03-14-2012, 11:28 PM

If anyone wants to save some money, give the Walmart tire center a try.

I was feeling extra frugal this summer when I got new tires from Discount Tire Direct delivered. So I went to Walmart on a weekday morning.

Four guys swapped out the tires on my car in about 10 minutes. It was much cheaper than the prices I was quoted at Firestone, NTB, etc.

post #6 of 30 Old 03-15-2012, 02:55 PM

I am looking to buy a 2012 sonata 2.0 LTD or Hybrid, but the road noise is too loud for me. Will changing tires help?
post #7 of 30 Old 04-07-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveulysses View Post

I have 26,500 miles on my Sonata, and the OEM Kumho Solus KH25 tires are now at 4/32's tread depth remaining. I could probably comfortably go another 5,000 miles on them (which for me is 4 months.) However they have become extremely noisy, and the tread pattern itself is wearing away very quickly.

I plan on replacing them soon with Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum in the 205/65/16 size. They have a "V" speed rating, 60,000 mile treadwear warranty, and are very reasonably priced. Plus Kumho is offering a $50 rebate right now when you purchase 4 of the Ecsta LX Platinums.

The Ecsta LX Platinum reportedly gives you 90% of the performance of the Michelin Primacy for 75% of the price of the Michelin. I am willing to give that a try

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS
Pacific Blue Pearl
PEP2
post #8 of 30 Old 04-09-2012, 08:37 AM

How about the Kumho Ecsta 4X's? Great reviews on tirerack. Will different tires solve the unsettled steering at highway speeds?

2012 Sonata Limited
Midnight Mica
post #9 of 30 Old 04-22-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceR View Post
T speed rating is 118mph, H is 140mph. Generally go with the oem tire speed rating or higher. I like the H727s myself... want a set for mine, but they don't make my size

If you want more selection and cheaper prices you can get a different size tire... 215/60R16. The reasons why Hyundai goes with the 205/65R16 are for fuel economy; less contact, and slightly taller tire (better for hwy mpg).

Bestr bet is consulting tirerack.com for not only comparative pricing but also comparative performances between tires. Only thing they don't do is actual wear testing, but their site has ownerfeedback which they incorporate tread wear in one of the catagories. Pretty accurate stuff.
post #10 of 30 Old 04-22-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonataFan View Post

Absolutely matters as any tire engineer will tell you. Running a tire beyond its rated speed is virtually insured to blowout. Only thing more deadly than that is underinflating tires. Just ask Ford about Explorers.
You can run underspeced tires but your chances of failure increase with amount of underspec even if you don't exceed the speed of the underspeced tire. Tire construction matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Sonata Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page