Reasonable wheel/rim size - Hyundai Sonata Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-29-2012, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Reasonable wheel/rim size

I'm waiting on my 2012 base model sonata. I mention base model as it comes with 16" steel rims and plastic covers. I've seen some beautiful looking rims and lowering with these cars, but in my case, it's not practical (and lowering springs are definetly out).

So my question is, what size of rim/tire combo am I good to go with without sacrificing ride (ie. road noise and control) and fuel efficiency. I'm guessing 18s would probably still look good without giving up too much, where as 20s may look sick but the sliver thin low profile tire that's mounted to it won't be very practical for everyday driving.

Cheers, and thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 AM

I say, stay safe...buy 19" with thick tires. You have a lot of wheel space.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-29-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblissett View Post
I'm waiting on my 2012 base model sonata. I mention base model as it comes with 16" steel rims and plastic covers. I've seen some beautiful looking rims and lowering with these cars, but in my case, it's not practical (and lowering springs are definetly out).

So my question is, what size of rim/tire combo am I good to go with without sacrificing ride (ie. road noise and control) and fuel efficiency. I'm guessing 18s would probably still look good without giving up too much, where as 20s may look sick but the sliver thin low profile tire that's mounted to it won't be very practical for everyday driving.

Cheers, and thanks.

We like the steering, performance, ride, and relative cost of 235/45x17 tires. we found the 225/45x18's a trifle large and don't yield as good mpg as the 17's corrected for the very small change in diameter. We are driving the SE. The GLS's 205/65x16's were too harsh at the tire pressures we want to run. Then we tried 245/40x17's and thats better again but remember my butte likes harder ride and better cornering.

Last edited by mahout; 03-05-2012 at 05:25 PM.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-01-2012, 05:34 AM

really depends on what you are going for, but from your description, seems like you just want something practical yet that looks good

i'd say go with 18's, or even the oem limited/turbo 18" wheels, these have been popping up on craigslist quite often these days

also, note that 18's with somewhat meaty/factory sized tires will look good without lowering. 20inch wheels with thin profile tires without lowering may look like a toy car on rubberband, which is also why i recomment you the 18's, since you dont want to take the lowering route

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-02-2012, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
thx, I think your right about the 18s. Now I just have to find a set :-) Appreciate the info all.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-18-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblissett View Post

Cheers, and thanks.
I recommend 245/45x17 tires on 8 or 8.5x17/40mm offset wheels. Your ride and mpg will be as stock but cornering vastly improved depending on the tires and the cost can be pretty low.
Be very careful of much bigger and heavier wheel/tire combinations as they will decrease your acceleration and mpg. Use mfg or tirerack.com to see if the hub bore and calipers match your hubs and brakes. Just because the bolt circle matches doesn't mean they will fit.
You can check TireRack to dtermine which brand and line of tire fits your wants. If you rate performance high on your list compare the times for wet and dry in their little courses to fit your performance price in your budget. Forget their 'reviews' I doon't know about you but my butt never matches theirs. Only stop watches count.
good luck.

Last edited by mahout; 05-18-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Sonata Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page