2013 Sonata snow tires? - Hyundai Sonata Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-17-2013, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
2013 Sonata snow tires?

Had my first experience driving my Sonata in significant snow in Connecticut today and it was a disaster. I'm used to winter and actually don't mind driving in this weather but the car didn't handle well at all. Just wondering if anyone out there has had any recommendations about adding snow tires or perhaps just upgrading the tires it came with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-18-2013, 11:51 AM

I am in same boat right now.

Ordered 4 stock Hybrid rims off ebay and will ride on Bridgestone Blizzaks from December to March.

I am reluctant to play with wheel size until I hear others experiences, or I would have gone with 16" snows.

The Sonata is an improvement from my previous cars, rear wheel drive mid 90s Mercedes. They each had their winter snows mounted to winter rims...so the habit is already in place.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Site Sponsor

Swapping to a dedicated winter tire is a great way to improve your traction during the cold months.

If you are shopping now, enter your year, make and model here and our website will show you winter tire options for your Sonata. : Winter Tire Search - Discount Tire Direct

If you would like to explore a dedicated winter wheel and tire combo we would be happy to help you with that too. Feel free to give us a call at 1.888.459.4080 or visit your local Discount Tire location, we'll be happy to assist you.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Your Door:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old 01-03-2014, 03:09 PM

Hello
wow heck of a storm huh? (im from Northern MA, got about good 16 inch
Yeah my 2011 sonata (i bought it on 12/31/2013) did NOT HANDEL WELL AT ALL

Also, there was ALOT OF SNOW IN MY AIR INTAKE CHAMBER (i posted a concern, my post is titled "Snow in my Air intake!!!"

I just test drove it to Dealer, they state this is normal....
Also, there was ALOT of vibration in the car.... during 50mph travel on clean road (I-95 was clean today in NORTHERN MA)
Mechnaic stated its due to ice in INNER RIM... (which kinda makes sense since the centripical force will change with UN-even weight distribution by ice)

On the drive back home, did about 70~90MPH... handled fine....

im still concerned about snow in my intake chamber...

GOOD LUCK
BTW im loving the Sonata!!! i wish it would last me longgg time with out much hasstle along the way
post #5 of 18 Old 01-05-2014, 03:15 AM

The Kumho tires that came on my 2011 Limited were absolutely awful in the snow. Even with ABS and TCS the Sonata handled far worse than my previous car, a 2005 Eclipse GT V6 which is a much lower riding, more powerful sports car. That's saying something. I made the jump to snow tires and I couldn't be happier, best money I've spent in a while (besides the car of course!).

The Michelin X-Ice, General Altimax, and Continental Extreme Winter Contact constantly rate as the best overall winter tires on the market. I don't include the Blizzaks because they are known to last less than two full winters.

Unfortunately I was unable to find any of the above tires at local tire shops so I "settled" for some Firestone Winterforces. I was worried but after this last storm here in MA, I FAR from "settled."

These tires are amazing and I would highly recommend them. Town Fair Tire had them $113 per tire including install. They will also do your tire change over every season for $10 mounting fee per tire.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-05-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard917 View Post
The Kumho tires that came on my 2011 Limited were absolutely awful in the snow. Even with ABS and TCS the Sonata handled far worse than my previous car, a 2005 Eclipse GT V6 which is a much lower riding, more powerful sports car. That's saying something. I made the jump to snow tires and I couldn't be happier, best money I've spent in a while (besides the car of course!).

The Michelin X-Ice, General Altimax, and Continental Extreme Winter Contact constantly rate as the best overall winter tires on the market. I don't include the Blizzaks because they are known to last less than two full winters.

Unfortunately I was unable to find any of the above tires at local tire shops so I "settled" for some Firestone Winterforces. I was worried but after this last storm here in MA, I FAR from "settled."

These tires are amazing and I would highly recommend them. Town Fair Tire had them $113 per tire including install. They will also do your tire change over every season for $10 mounting fee per tire.
I put the Winterforce snows on my 2012 2.0 SE and I agree that they are great in the snow. And are surprisingly well handling in the wet and on dry pavement for snow tires. And they are only as noisy as the OEM Hankooks. At least the Winterforces have the excuse that they are snow tires.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-18-2014, 08:38 AM

I've experienced the horrible vibrations due to snow and ice building up on the inside of the wheels myself... It was pretty concerning until I figured out what was happening!!!

Also, I am running Bridgestone Blizzaks on the factory 18" wheels and they are incredible!!! Lots of confidence in the snow... I would highly recommend them!!! I would have expected an 18" snow tire to still be lousy, but they really supply great traction!!!
post #8 of 18 Old 01-25-2014, 01:53 PM

I need to put snow tires on my 2011 Sonata just am just getting two, not four. Did you get 2 or 4, were you advised to get 4?
post #9 of 18 Old 01-25-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra6784 View Post
I need to put snow tires on my 2011 Sonata just am just getting two, not four. Did you get 2 or 4, were you advised to get 4?

It is NEVER advisable to get only 2 winter tires. If money is an issue, you are better off getting an absolutely cheap set of 4 winters tires. 4 cheap tires are better than 2 expensive tires.

When putting two tires on a vehicle you have two options:

If you put the winter tires in the front your back end is going to swing like a b*tch due to less grip. You will have traction in the front so the wheels will turn fine but the rear will lose traction and you will get tons of oversteer (aka your back end will swing out). This is the dangerous type of sliding. So, 2 up front offers more grip from a start or up a hill but it is more dangerous.

If you put the winter tires in the back your front end won't turn as quickly and may lose traction. You will have less traction from a stop or up hills but cornering safely will be easier because your back end will have more grip. This means you will get some understeer (aka you will turn your wheels but you wont turn as much as you are steering) and this is due to the high grip in the back and the low grip in the front. So, 2 in the back will be worse from a start, but it is better in turns and safer overall. This setup is also aided by the fact that your engine will be over your two tires with less traction friendly treads, offering more weight and more tire coverage on the road.

This brings up another point. DO NOT put sand bags in your trunk. For some reason people have this idea that sand bags in the trunk help traction. Sure, if you have a rear wheel drive truck or car, definitely go for it. But a front wheel drive car benefits from the engine's weight being over the drive wheels and placing weight in the trunk merely negates that advantage.

Best option, 4 snow tires. Simple as that.

2011 Sonata Limited

Last edited by brichard917; 01-25-2014 at 10:58 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-06-2014, 11:26 AM

I drove one storm with the the stock tires on my 2013 GLS and got very little traction. Swapped those for some Blizzaks and made a world of difference.

Bottom line: If you live in the snow belt, get yourself a dedicated set of snow tires. You won't be dissappointed and it will make driving safer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Sonata Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page