MPG on 2013 Sonata terrible?? - Hyundai Sonata Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 11-03-2012, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Angry MPG on 2013 Sonata terrible??

New to site - just bought a new 2013 Sonata LTD 2.4L 4 cyl. 3 weeks ago. I love the styling of this car and got all the gizmo's I was looking for. However only gased up twice now and I'm getting only 18 MPG city. I travel in traffic to work and home, but wow...this is very upsetting. The sticker says this should get 24-28 mpg. I just read the article about the company mis-stating the MPG on stickers but this model is not included in this.

Is anyone else having this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 11-03-2012, 10:57 AM

A new engine will take time to break in and once you get a few thousand miles on the engine you should see the change in fuel. Keep in mind that the 24-28mpg is highway driving and perfect conditions. If your driving in traffic and having to speed up and then hit the breaks then of course the mileage will be lower. Using the cruise control is also away to get better mileage.
post #3 of 36 Old 11-05-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbe80 View Post
A new engine will take time to break in and once you get a few thousand miles on the engine you should see the change in fuel. Keep in mind that the 24-28mpg is highway driving and perfect conditions. If your driving in traffic and having to speed up and then hit the breaks then of course the mileage will be lower. Using the cruise control is also away to get better mileage.
^ Very true.

Maybe you can make your own MPG thread to track the MPG's your getting. Hopefully it will improve over time as you put more miles on it.

Another thing that will factor into your MPG is weather. In colder weather, engines have to work harder, so it's possible that in colder weather/winter you might not be getting the EPA rated MPG number.

post #4 of 36 Old 11-06-2012, 05:48 PM

In traffic not many cars have good mileage. Their mileage claims are usually highway or combined highway and city. Traffic is another realm of terrible mileage.
post #5 of 36 Old 11-08-2012, 05:59 PM

new-owner

well, these are very good reasons, but your lack of emotion in the face of being lied to leads me to believe the excusers are company plants. way low mileage (i'm getting 18 too). no warning from sales. company caught lying. what is hyundai doing about it?
post #6 of 36 Old 11-12-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefrin View Post
well, these are very good reasons, but your lack of emotion in the face of being lied to leads me to believe the excusers are company plants. way low mileage (i'm getting 18 too). no warning from sales. company caught lying. what is hyundai doing about it?
Their giving owners back money, I think it's every year and for as long as they own the vehicle. Might want to call your dealership about it.
post #7 of 36 Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocha512 View Post
New to site - just bought a new 2013 Sonata LTD 2.4L 4 cyl. 3 weeks ago. I love the styling of this car and got all the gizmo's I was looking for. However only gased up twice now and I'm getting only 18 MPG city. I travel in traffic to work and home, but wow...this is very upsetting. The sticker says this should get 24-28 mpg. I just read the article about the company mis-stating the MPG on stickers but this model is not included in this.

Is anyone else having this problem?
I too am a new 2013 Sonata SE owner, just purchased mine on 11/3. I noticed this mpg issue my first week it was reading 20 mpg but now almost 2 weeks later it is reading 24.5 mpg and rising. I have not filled my tank yet and I plan on doing my own mpg math once I do fill up to see if the car readout is accurate or not. I have not tried the ECO assist button yet either which may or may not help this issue. Will repost once I do fill up to let you know if the readout is accurate.
post #8 of 36 Old 12-08-2012, 03:11 PM

mileage drops like a rock in traffic I get 25+ when not in traffic and stopping goes down to 18 when in heavy traffic. highway mileage is good if you stay under 70mph 38.4+
post #9 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 12:58 PM

New car but I am averaging 26 in mixed but mostly highway miles.
post #10 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimA View Post
mileage drops like a rock in traffic I get 25+ when not in traffic and stopping goes down to 18 when in heavy traffic. highway mileage is good if you stay under 70mph 38.4+
That's what I noticed too, these cars seem to be amazing highway cruisers but once you hit the busy city....good luck!

what is your driving style like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Sonata Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page