Worn Pulley Screech with Symptoms - Hyundai Sonata Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-15-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Worn Pulley Screech with Symptoms

2006 Sonata
148k miles

And just like that, the typical sound of a worn idler pulley emerges from the car immediately after start up. It squeals for a couple minutes and goes away. We're all familiar that noise. Only a mild hassle, though 'cause it's a relatively easy job to swap out an idler pulley.

'cept here's the thing... it ain't the idler pulley.
while driving, the power steering and alternator will go out intermittently--presumably the A/C would also cut out at the same time, but it's chilly here presently. So what do these components have in common: the drive belt. That symptom, combined with the pulley squeal, lead me to believe the tensioner pulley--and not the idler pulley--is going bad. Pretty good sleuthing, eh?

'cept here's the thing... it ain't the tensioner pulley.
It seems the squeal is coming from the power steering pump. (Btw, the drive belt is in excellent condition and belt tension is nominal). My new theory: a bearing is failing within the power steering pump; the squealing disappears after friction warms it up a bit. But that doesn't explain why the alternator warning appears simultaneous to the power steering going out.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-24-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lothian View Post
2006 Sonata
148k miles

And just like that, the typical sound of a worn idler pulley emerges from the car immediately after start up. It squeals for a couple minutes and goes away. We're all familiar that noise. Only a mild hassle, though 'cause it's a relatively easy job to swap out an idler pulley.

'cept here's the thing... it ain't the idler pulley.
while driving, the power steering and alternator will go out intermittently--presumably the A/C would also cut out at the same time, but it's chilly here presently. So what do these components have in common: the drive belt. That symptom, combined with the pulley squeal, lead me to believe the tensioner pulley--and not the idler pulley--is going bad. Pretty good sleuthing, eh?

'cept here's the thing... it ain't the tensioner pulley.
It seems the squeal is coming from the power steering pump. (Btw, the drive belt is in excellent condition and belt tension is nominal). My new theory: a bearing is failing within the power steering pump; the squealing disappears after friction warms it up a bit. But that doesn't explain why the alternator warning appears simultaneous to the power steering going out.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Hi, you need to get a stethoscope for automobiles - you can get a pretty accurate diagnosis on which pulley/bearing is making the noise. They cost about $10-15 at your friendly local auto part. Did you find what the problem was already?
post #3 of 9 Old 11-24-2018, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Nah. I don't care for auto stethoscopes. I think they're a potentially hazardous and mostly useless tool. I prefer the megaphone method of jamming a long driver into the opening of a jug--much safer, much cheaper, and much more effective. Click here to watch a convincing demonstration.

Last edited by lothian; 11-24-2018 at 11:23 PM.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-24-2018, 10:53 PM

Yes, a screwdriver also works. How long have you owned your Sonata, is it a 4 cylinders? What are the issues you have already experienced/fixed on it? I had to replace my fuel pump, 2 fuel injectors, 1 transmission sensor — since I bought it 7 months ago, otherwise running fine. I was hearing a metallic grinding noise every time I had the a/c turned on, but about a week ago it stopped doing it and the a/c quit cooling (most likely the compressor is shot, so that is my next task coming soon).
post #5 of 9 Old 11-24-2018, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I bought my daughter a 2006 Sonata GLS for her 16th b'day. It's a 4 door sedan; a 3.3L V6 with 135k.

No major issues. I've been chasing front end suspension noise with marginal results--research reveals that a few Hyundai models from this year suffered from a wonky front end suspension that defy remedy. The steering has recently begun to make a hard-to-describe murmur when the wheel is turned. And other than the aforementioned screech coming from the front of the engine, that's pretty much it.

Regarding your potential A/C issue:
You might check out the Auto AC Forum. Lots of issue-specific information and guidance within the threads.

Last edited by lothian; 12-21-2018 at 10:08 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-25-2018, 12:17 AM

I have a friend with an 08 3.3L V6 with 176km, still running and shifting great. I had to help him recently by installing a new throttle body sensor, iridium sparks plug and cleaning a clogged rubber hose that clamped to the idler valve - the car was having trouble maintaining a smooth idle and it would also choke or surge when taking off. Thanks for the a/c link, going to register to seek out more info about my issue.

07 Sonata 2.4L with 156k in Central Florida.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-16-2019, 01:41 AM

Yes, a screwdriver also works. How long have you owned your Sonata, is it a 4 cylinders?
post #8 of 9 Old 03-16-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
We've had this Sonata for two years.

It has a 3.3L DOHC V6... engina.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-12-2019, 12:18 PM

It might also be the harmonic balancer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Sonata Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page