Anyone having problems with GPS navigation maps? - Hyundai Sonata Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 10-03-2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Anyone having problems with GPS navigation maps?

I have had my GPS worked on about 5 times, one of which they did a free update as I refused to pay $200 for the yearly update since my GPS has been terrible since the day I bought it. I've also had it replaced for a 2013 updated one and it still is screwy. The navigation stinks and takes me wrong ways and down cul-de-sacs (only to come right back out and continue on regular way). I literally was in Michigan with DH and he has a wonderful sense of direction. It told us to exit on this bridge and we did. Okay, we weren't sure why since we really should have just continued on highway. Believe it or not, it was a bridge in MI that takes you up to the booth where you show your passport to get into Canada. I was freaking out since we didn't bring them with us since we were, after all, vacationing in MI -- not Canada. The lady at the booth laughed and said that we were not the first people that day who came through saying their GPS led them there. We did get turned around without a big issue, but nonetheless, that's an example of what crappy directions this thing gives. People, if you have the same problem, please complain. Don't just give in and use your smart phones or get a printed out Google map. I bought my Sonata with all the bells and whistles and especially because I wanted the built in GPS. I had never ever had a problem with my $100 Garmin but since I was buying a new car that I could get it in, I didn't want to be slapping the Garmin on my new car and leaving all those round circles that look like crop circles on my windshield. Currently I am at the point where I have taken pictures for my dealership and they supposedly are dealing with the DPSM (District Parts & Service Manager) who is above the dealership's service department. I am not going to stop fighting this issue and I strongly IMPLORE any of you reading this to please take action and complain. Do not pay the $ to have it updated. If it has been terrible from Day 1 it is not going to get better. You paid extra for it and you deserve for it to work properly. If anyone is having the same issue and would like to contact me directly, feel free. I'd like to hear if other people are having these issues. I am not going to let it go and would like to have some "back up" if possible. Hopefully we can get this issue solved together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-03-2013, 07:26 PM

Me again. I have had my 2013 Sonata for almost a year and have had no navigation issues. Live in Massachusetts so don't know if that has anything to do with it. I was used to the Garmin but have adapted to the Limited nav system.
post #3 of 20 Old 10-06-2013, 12:35 PM

I just wanted to pipe in here. I'm about to take a 3500 mile trip here this next week in our new Sonata. I'll be sure to bring a backup GPS with us in the event we have issues now that I've read your post OP. When we get back I'll let you know how the trip goes. We have several destinations we're going to so it will get a pretty good workout.

post #4 of 20 Old 06-21-2014, 07:00 PM

Our 2011 Sonata Hybrid has the same terrible GPS system. The maps are accurate but the routing software is not only bad but scary to use. We use our portable Garmin and cannot ever count on the Hyundai system. We just took a trip to Napa Valley from Reno and my Garmin took us the most direct way (I80 almost all the way ther) for the 175 mile, 3 hour 15 minute trip. Just see what it would do we put the same destination into the Hyundai system: it plotted a 325 mile - 5 hour and 35 minute route - never getting on I80! This is only one of many examples. If you need a GPS DO NOT buy from Hyundia.

The dealers can't do anything about this problem and we will never buy another Hyundai if this isn't corrected soon.
post #5 of 20 Old 06-22-2014, 02:17 AM

Have a 2013 Sonata Ltd Hybrid and have not had any issues like that. Of course I have the latest update. I do think that it's routing choices are not as robust as the Waze on my iPhone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
daneg320u545 likes this.
post #6 of 20 Old 08-30-2014, 09:15 AM

Hyundai Sonata GPS "HAVE A PROBLEM"

I bought a 2011 Sonata in July of 2010 (BRAND NEW) and for several years had no trouble with the GPS, I thought it was amazing. Lately, now that the car is over four years old and has more than 72K miles, the GPS has essentially died. 90% of the time I start my car the system needs to reboot itself and afterward still doesn't work. I get a message "System have a problem. See Dealer" and it doesn't go away unless I force a restart of the entire system, which is a nuisance since it resets all of my radio selections too.

I've never upgraded my system but I cannot fathom spending a few hundred dollars for a software update when I could just buy a Garmin for $100....Hyundai is nuts for asking $300 for a SOFTWARE UPDATE! Especially when the system itself obviously has defects.

Has anyone else heard of this issue? I can't find any similar messages online.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-10-2014, 12:26 PM

I just bought my 2011 Sonata LTD with 20k miles. I didn't have any issues driving from Cali to Chicago. The route was pretty easy and it was identical to what Google Maps gave me on my Android. I can complain that the routing system is horrible and usually has me taking a way that isn't the fastest. I would assume this is because it is outdated. But definitely right about Hyundai being nuts for charging $160 to update your maps. I prefer to use my phone and use Bluetooth for any short distances.

For long drives, it does help to use your GPS system as it doesn't use phone battery. IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traugy21 View Post
Lately, now that the car is over four years old and has more than 72K miles, the GPS has essentially died. 90% of the time I start my car the system needs to reboot itself and afterward still doesn't work. I get a message "System have a problem. See Dealer" and it doesn't go away unless I force a restart of the entire system, which is a nuisance since it resets all of my radio selections too.
This has me scared lol. I may just stop using my GPS so it doesn't die out on me if i don't use it.

Owner's Manual for Sonata's:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-21-2015, 08:41 PM

It doesn't bother me with not picking the best route, what bothers me is how slow it is at recalculating should you miss a turn....horribly slow, my cheesy $99 Garmin runs circles around a $1000+ navi system.....sad.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-02-2015, 05:44 PM

2015 Sonata Nav system difficulty enteringing destination

Entered my home as home destination, GPS places me half a mile from my house.
Tried to enter address for new destination, but when I type in east in city, system comes you with a different city, will not let me complete the full city name, same applies for street. Any solution to this problem?
post #10 of 20 Old 04-02-2015, 08:18 PM

The only way for the system to be accurate it seems is if you subscribe to Hyundai's Blue Link services powered by Google. I entered an address into the GPS manually and it wound up taking us nearly 20 miles off from the true address, nowhere near the lake/park we wanted to go to. When this happened I hit the Blue Link and talked to a customer service rep., who was able to promptly find what we were looking for and send it to the navigation system.

It is about the worse GPS system ever, takes forever to recalculate a route (15+ seconds sometimes) and this is after an update. Before the update it would take even longer to figure out the new route. Our $99 Garmin does it in a few seconds which is how it should be. The SD card system they switched to isn't nowhere near as fast, which is a limitation of the cheap card their using or the computer within the navigation system itself. Also it should have an option to choose Sun Pass etc. according to your state, the navigation system shows the toll booths and even says Sun Pass but always want's to direct you to the paying lanes on the right...retarded.

2014 Sonata 2.0T Limited + Tech, K&N filter, Philips X-treme Vision +50% D1S HID, Diode Dynamics XML2 LED H8 Fog, Osram Night-breaker H7 High Beam, LED reverse and tag lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Sonata Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List