Sonata Forums banner

Please post your introductions here

118K views 313 replies 266 participants last post by  kwk84 
#1 ·
Welcome to SonataForums! We ask all new members to please post an introduction. Please tell us a bit about yourself, what car you drive, if it's a Sonata how long you've had it, and your driving history. We're all car lovers here, so any info you have would be helpful.

Thanks and welcome aboard!

Your SF Admins!

#3 ·
Hi Davey, keep us posted as far as the modifications go. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I had a lot of fun modifying my 2012 Sonata SE!

#5 ·
Hello,
My name is Megan. I am new to the forum. I just wanted to see if there are any issues about Sonata I need to know. I recently got a 2011. LOVE IT. A month or so after getting it I noticed the shifter clicks when accelerating or decelerating, or simply holding or releasing brake. Not sure if it is common or if I should take to dealer while under warranty.....

#6 ·
Hi Megan and welcome to the forums! I'm sorry to hear about the shifter clicking. That is a new one on me. I would take it to the dealer. Is it still under warranty?

#9 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Bob, and I am from Wilbraham Massachusetts . I own a 2013 sonata, black. I am looking forward to learning more about my car from those members of the forum. Nice to be a part of this community!
Hi Bob... welcome to the forums! It's good to have you as a part of the community! :)

#11 ·
Howdy VA2go and welcome to the forums! Is your 2012 Sonata a GLS or a SE?

#12 · (Edited)
Not So New !!!

I'm Lauren from Tampa. I have a 2011 2.0T for 3 years and buying a new 2013 2.0T this week. Wish they made a convertible! Have had some issues with this car but still love it enough to buy a new one. I put 72k on this and time to trade.

I finally got my new 2013. Had to truck it in from New Jersey but I got what I wanted with the right options.
'13 SE Turbo White/Black interior/pin stripes, mud guards, spoiler. Saved a ton of money by going with a '13.
I drive a lot so I'll be out of the 50k warranty in 2 years. Then I'll step up to a new one. We'll see how it improves
in 2 years.

Oh with this cold weather we just had, love the heated seats!!! My '11 SE Turbo didn't have them.

#15 ·
I'm Lauren from Tampa. I have a 2011 2.0T for 3 years and buying a new 2013 2.0T this week. Wish they made a convertible! Have had some issues with this car but still love it enough to buy a new one. I put 72k on this and time to trade.
Hi Lauren and welcome to the forums! It's good having you with us! What kind of issues do you have with your 2011? I own a 2013 Sonata SE turbo that I love and I'm very happy with. I also had a 2012 SE that I enjoyed.

#21 ·
Welcome to the forum Linda!

what questions do you have? Make sure you check out the threads posted to see if you those can answer any of your questions ;)

My '11 SE Turbo had some issues that normally I wouldn't buy another but this car is so fun I got another. The big issue I had was the transmission went out. Front pump leaked in the pan and didn't know it. No leaks on the garage floor. But then it started jerking when shifting because of fluid loss. Got it to the dealer and they kept the car and gave me a '13 loaner. They replace the transmission, not fix it, but I think it's a re-man not brand new. Drove it for another 12k but wanted a new one just in case something else was going to go wrong. The other things, start/stop switch failed, and check engine light went on to have the wastgate sensor adjusted? Anyways not real comfortable being out in the country by myself with a car that might fail and no cell service.
Thank god for warranties right, glad you got the problem fixed. Sounds like you have a good dealership that takes care of you, my friend had to deal with a warraqnty replacement and he wasn't so fortunate. they made him wait for 2 days while his car was sitting in the garage and letting him know what the situation was and rental was given.

Welcome to the forum!

Hi. Been driving '13 Limited 2.0T Premium package for 6 months and love this car. After 28 years of Toyota, I made the leap and ain't looking back! No problems whatsoever.
Wow 28 years and you jump ship, what was Toyota lacking to make you switch?

Welcome!

Hey everybody, I'm Aaron from NC.

I recently bought my Silver 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS.

So far I love it. Can't wait to learn more from here about my car.
Welcome Aaron!

Have any photos to share with us?

Hello,
Names Joe,
2011 Sonata SE 2.0T
LOVING IT!!!
HAD 2003 Sonata GLS before this.

awesome forum!!!
Welcome to the forum Joe!

What color is your 2.0T?

I finally got my new 2013. Had to truck it in from New Jersey but I got what I wanted with the right options.
'13 SE Turbo White/Black interior/pin stripes, mud guards, spoiler. Saved a ton of money by going with a '13.
I drive a lot so I'll be out of the 50k warranty in 2 years. Then I'll step up to a new one. We'll see how it improves
in 2 years.

Oh with this cold weather we just had, love the heated seats!!! My '11 SE Turbo didn't have them.
Welcome aboard Lauren!

Were you just leasing the 2011 you had or...?

This winter had to be the coldest one I have seen in years. I believe that the seat warmers were gods gift! Lets just hope the cold ends soon...

Hey all, just swapped my celica that was dying for a 2000 manual exec! great swap love the car, love how it goes and how smooth it is! from Australia
Welcome!

I heard its scorching hot around where youre from, how you dealing with the heat?

#18 ·
My '11 SE Turbo had some issues that normally I wouldn't buy another but this car is so fun I got another. The big issue I had was the transmission went out. Front pump leaked in the pan and didn't know it. No leaks on the garage floor. But then it started jerking when shifting because of fluid loss. Got it to the dealer and they kept the car and gave me a '13 loaner. They replace the transmission, not fix it, but I think it's a re-man not brand new. Drove it for another 12k but wanted a new one just in case something else was going to go wrong. The other things, start/stop switch failed, and check engine light went on to have the wastgate sensor adjusted? Anyways not real comfortable being out in the country by myself with a car that might fail and no cell service.

#22 · (Edited)
I bought my first, 2011 and bought another 2013. But now I'm fighting the dealer about some minor issues about registration. So I haven't driven the car with expired tags. I don't have any paperwork showing the plates were transferred to the new car. They say they gave me the paper but I don't have it. I'm super busy so to drive 30 miles to get a piece of paper makes it difficult for me.

#24 ·
Hi, I'm Mitapatio-
My husband has a 2001 Sonata GLS that is still running with minimal maintenance on his part. I love my husband but he isn't mechanical at all. I like to fix things so I'm trying to repair a few items and could use your support and advice.

The interior third brake light on the rear dashboard won't turn off when we turn off the car and then drains the battery. Every time we turn off the car we pull off one of the battery cables and this is getting old.

The standard brake lights operate and don't have the same problem so it doesn't sound like it is due to a bad switch on the brake pedal.

If this problem is due to a bad fuse, my guess is that it the light wouldn't operate at all.

Some posts have mentioned a connection of some sort to the door panel. The rear left window and lock no longer work and need replacement. Could this have any impact if the other three window and lock motors work well?

If it is a short, any suggestions on where to start first?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated?

#25 ·
2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Hello, my name is Jerry I have a 2011 Hyundai sonata gls, I live in the boondocks of Kentucky. I am wanting to do some mods as well. Its all stock... for now. But I am curious, I installed HIDs on it and I am having nothing but issues out of them. They are amazing when they work. Just at the moment Im not digging them so much haha

#26 ·
Hello, my name is Jerry I have a 2011 Hyundai sonata gls, I live in the boondocks of Kentucky. I am wanting to do some mods as well. Its all stock... for now. But I am curious, I installed HIDs on it and I am having nothing but issues out of them. They are amazing when they work. Just at the moment Im not digging them so much haha
Hi Jerry and welcome to the forums! What kind of problems are you having with your HIDs? I just installed some HID lows on my car and absolutely love them.

#31 ·
Eric from Rhode Island here just bought a 2011 sonata limited a week ago.
Hi and welcome to the forums! It's good to have you with us. :)

#29 ·
Hi everyone,

I joined the Sonata Forum to learn some things to help keep my '07 on the road for many years. With almost 74,000 miles, I expect the brakes to need work soon, but no signs yet. I do need to replace my upper control arm bushings.

I haven't done much to the car myself that might help others except for installing a custom sound system, Dynamat on floor, doors, firewall and trunk, and a K&N air filter. I did a few oil changes on it myself but usually a local deal will keep me from wanting to hassle with used oil recycling.

Looking forward to reading and posting.

Cheers!

#32 ·
Hello and welcome the the forums! It's good to have you with us!

#30 ·
Hello all! Just purchased a 2014 Sonata GLS (in Radiant Silver) and so far am loving it. I traded in my 2005 Elantra GT because I needed more room (2 kids now).

I am a long-time car enthusiast, and loved modding my Elantra - hope to get some great ideas here! Currently, I reside in Chicago (born and raised) and live with my wife and 2 kids.

Anyway, I look forward to learning all there is to know about the Sonata!

#38 ·
Hi Justin! It's good to have you with us here. I drive a 2013 Hyundai Sonata SE Turbo and love it. It too is Harbor Gray Metallic. It's good to have you with us!

#36 ·
I picked up my new Sonata SE on Tuesday and - for the first time since I got it - the sun is out!! I came to the Sonata SE from a 2011 Veracruz Limited and look forward to the many advanced techological features as well as the significantly better gas mileage.

I am a retired Fire Chief and am a travel professional (what some people would call a travel agent, but I am SO MUCH MORE than an agent!) and own my own agency, and still do a lot of consulting and strategic planning work for fire & EMS agencies. After retiring from the Fire Department I spent 10 years with the Florida Highway Patrol as the Troop Commander for the Auxiliary in Troop F and miss my time with both agencies.

#37 ·
Hello and welcome to the forums! It's good to have you with us here! I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata SE turbo and absolutely love it. Fire Fighter and Trooper! Pretty unique career. I spent many many years in the Coast Guard. Again , it's good to have you onboard with us!

#42 ·
Hi Dan! Welcome to the forums... It's good to have you with us. Congrats on your 2005 Sonata purchase!

#44 ·
Hi Shamar and welcome to the forums! When you say customization I assume you mean some modifications? Are your windows tinted? That's always a good place to get started. Modifications to your Sonata depends on your budget. I particularly like HIDs for my low beams. They are much brighter than the stock headlights that you have. That's a good start.

#45 ·
Thanks Torchbearer. HIDs sound like a good start. i used to own a '97 Civic coupe and did a bunch of mods to it. nothing race worthy or flashy, just something i could call my own and tear up the highway with. i'm looking to do something a little more with the Sonata. Since this is my family car, i can't make it track ready because my wife will drive it too and i don't trust her. :) but i would like to boost the performance to compete with the high end cars on the road today. I'm tired of getting burned by BMWs and Lexus on the highway. Performance wise, what else can i do to give the engine more kick other than adding a CAI? i don't know much.

#46 ·
Have you considered either a Cold Air Intake or a short ram intake. That will boost HP roughly 7 HP or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.