Sonata Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently received a 2001 Sonata V6 from my father and just currently started having problems with it overheating. When I am driving the car stays at normal operating temperature but if I sit in park for a period of time with the a/c on (I haven't tried without as I haven't had actual troubleshoot time) the car will begin to overheat. It isn't a slow overheat either, by the time the gauge starts registering that it is overheating I am already blowing out coolant. I'm not blowing coolant from a hole in a line either it is blowing from around the upper radiator hose at the water neck. The hose is on tight I have replaced the crap pressure clamps with ones you actually tighten when I replaced the hose as it was collapsed when I got the car. I also replaced the radiator cap. After that I end up being completely empty and have to fill up. I don't notice any leaking anywhere and I don't have a blown head gasket because I don't have any mixture. I pulled the thermostat and checked it and it was good but am currently running without it. My next step was the fan relays. The fans are coming on but they don't seem to be operating as fast as they should so I am thinking that maybe the high speed relays are bad. Radiator was also replaced just a few years ago I believe. I was wondering if this was a common problem and if anyone has dealt with this. I am a Honda guy so I haven't learned Hyundai's quirks yet.

·
Registered
374 Posts
i think you really need to flush the system thoroughly making sure there aren't any clogs or anything restricting the flow of air and coolant.

how i see it, it's cool when you're driving because theirs better flow going on but when stopped it just helps the clog

·
Registered
222 Posts
err I would head to mechanic right away. It's hard to say what exactly is the problem. It could be a part in your cooling system that isn't functioning properly. Pretty awesome way to blow your car up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.