Sonata Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading on a website (below) that Hyundai will be extending the warranty for some parts on the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid to 10 years in KOREA.

Is Hyundai doing any crazy warranty extension like this in North America?

Hyundai Motor will extend the warranty period for some parts of its Sonata hybrid in Korea to 10 years. Under the scheme, consumers will receive the extended guarantee for either this time period or 200,000 km -- depending on which comes first -- for batteries, motors and hybrid power control units.

For the other parts, the current six-year or 120,000-km warranty program will continue to be applied.

Hyundai's new scheme represents the longest warranty in the industry. In the U.S. market, Toyota offers eight years or 160,000 km for its hybrid vehicles. The Japanese carmaker, meanwhile, is promoting a special offer in Korea that promises a 10-year or 300,000-km warranty for drivers who buy the Prius, its flagship hybrid, this month. The deal only covers Prius batteries.

Hyundai's offer applies not only to future sales of its Sonata hybrids but also those that have already been snapped up. The automaker is also pondering extending the warranty period for its hybrid exports to the U.S.

Kia Motors will follow suit, lengthening the warranty period for the K5 hybrid to 10 years or 200,000 km.
The Chosun Ilbo (English Edition): Daily News from Korea - Hyundai Offers 10-Year Warranty for Sonata Hybrid

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think they are doing this to ensure consumers that their Hybrid technology was last long and if it doesn't it is covered under warranty. One of the concerns with Hyundais Hybrid technology may be reliability. They are assuring us that it is fine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think they are doing this to ensure consumers that their Hybrid technology was last long and if it doesn't it is covered under warranty. One of the concerns with Hyundais Hybrid technology may be reliability. They are assuring us that it is fine.
That or Hyundai is trying to prove themselves to be a worth while brand offering crazy, out of this world warranties. Also might be another tactic to bring in more customers. But i'm not complaining! Love the great warranties.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts