Sonata Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago, my Sonata started randomly stalling out. I have been in a bind financially so I reluctantly took it to a Tire chain store to get worked on because I have a CC with them. They said it was EGR Valve, and that it need to be replaced, not just cleaned. Since I needed belts and oil change too, I let them replace EGR too. Got the car back, still stalls. Went back to them... "Oh plugs are fouled." New plugs, driving home...Stalls....Back to the shop. This time, "the timing is off, and needs to be reflashed." Sensing my frustration they offered to flash it for free if I could wait a day or two. Day or two later, drop the car off, end of day I go to pick up, they decided it wasn't the timing needed to be reflashed but that the crank shaft sensor needed to be replaced, which they did and now wanted me to pay for. That turned ugly.

So now the car has no longer been stalling, but ever since, it sounds different. It sounds rough. It rides ok, doesn't shake, or stutter, but the car sounds deeper (for lack of better description) The car seems to idle a little higher at start up now too, but settles fine once in gear. Fuel mileage seems decreased, and its burning/leaking a little oil now too. Check engine light came on last week, EGR valve code, which I cleaned(very heavy build up), and idiot light went off.

When I get some money scraped up(payday two weeks away) I will get it to my regular mechanic. But was wondering what opinions might be floating around here about these issues? I know I can get the UV dye to help find were the oil leak is coming from, But could it be leaking from improperly installed Crank Shaft Sensor? Could timing be off, making it sound rough?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Trying to figure out or at least make a wild guess on what this could be and im stuck, I want to say TPS have my doubts thats even it.

Keep us posted on what your regular mechanic says. when are you taking it in to him?

·
Registered
99 Posts
try running your Sonata with the vacuum hose pulled out of the EGR valve. Alot of times that will quiet the engine down and keep it from being too rough, at least until you get it to the mechanic.

the EGR is simply dumping exhaust gasses into the intake to meet emissions regs, but engines ran just finr without EGR's for some 80 years. Give it a shot, wont hurt trust me.

·
Registered
222 Posts
They were trying to narrow down the possible problems that could have caused the stalling.

Personally it sounds like they arent that experienced. You should have took it to Hyundai to diagnose and brought it to a cheaper mechanic to fix.

The way it sits now I'd try to do some research or ask around to find a good mechanic that is honest and has fair pricing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The higher idle could be a simple problem I have the same car v6 and any time the engine needs to be moved they tilt it it stretches the throttle housing find the throttle body follow the cable to the cruse control if it seems slightly out see if it will slide in if it does cut a small portion of the rubber off. Until I did this my car would idle at about 1200rpm and if I went from reverse to drive to quickly it would pull the housing out and pin my throttle wide open

1 - 5 of 5 Posts