Sonata Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'll start from the beginning, i bought a Hyundai sonata with blown head gasket. I changed the head gasket but now the car doesn't go in the fifth gear. Moreover, if i try to accelerate suddenly the car doesn't shift at all ( like the rpm keeps going up) but If I speed up gradually it works fine( only till the 4th gear). I have changed the speed sensor, transmission oil but the issue is still there. Also if i try to accelerate suddenly car takes a pause for 2 sec and then picks up the rpm ( but once it picks up the rpm there is no missing or anything).
I have changed the coils, plugs, throttle body position sensor. I have checked the fuel flow, it was good. I have no clue what to do now.

NOTE: CAR DOESN'T HAVE ANY CHECK LIGHT

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 L Limited
3 Posts
Sounds like the transmission and/or the torque converter is bad or getting bad. How many miles are on the car? And when did you get it? How long have you driven it before head gasket change?

I could be totally wrong. With no check engine light, I would say check wires, grounds and fuses for an obvious issues as a starting point.

Note: I am NOT a professional. I am a DYI mechanic with some but limited knowledge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou for your reply. The car has 120k miles. Actually it had a check light before but not for anything related to transmission. I was just for mis firing. Just a question, can we have transmission issues with wrong timing?

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 L Limited
3 Posts
I suppose wrong timing could have indirect transmission issues since the timing is suppose to help keep the engine and the other components in sync. Timing is normally kept via rubber belt or by chain, and they can skip and/or warp causing timing issues. If the tensioner is weak/ loose, that can also cause the belt/chain to skip and become out of sync.

I am not an expert on the topic, but, to your question, I believe so. I believe that could have also caused that misfire. If you suspect a timing issue, then I would get that checked out asap before that causes additional issues down the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts