Sonata Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
V6 GLS, Having intermittent indicated (gauge) overheating issues. No codes. Temperature gauge climbs towards red, doesn't stay there. I have an OBD real-time reader hooked up- temp reading has once gone to 210 degrees but only briefly- usually to 208 degrees then back down. At idle yesterday (not hot outside) temp varied between 207 degrees and 199 degrees (the left radiator fan cycled on at 208, off at 199 degrees). Thermostat had been replaced and coolant system seems OK. I believe the temperature sensor has been replaced as well. No coolant leaks; water pump replaced with timing belt.

So I'm confused- When I shut engine off (with the gauge showing a higher-than-normal reading) and restart immediately, the same gauge shows "normal" at startup. It's like an instantaneous drop. I have repeated this test numerous times. (Seems if there was a real high temp, that gauge would return to the same high reading when I restart the engine...:confused:) When gauge is "misbehaving", its reading doesn't seem to correspond to OBD temp readings. I'm trying to determine if there's a real overheating issue or if the gauge/sensor is faulty. Any help would be appreciated!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts