Sonata Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 has a dashboard air bag warning light. What is the best way to diagnose and fix this problem? I checked, but could not find a Hyundai recall on this issue.

Sound advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is it the red AIR BAG light from the Steering Column? You have a short in the system and the Air Bags are not working. If the light is on the technician reads the code and goes from there. It could be a clip in the Seatbelt connection but it is most likely the connectors under either one of the seats. These connectors are exposed and if anything rolls around under the seat like a bottle of water or an Orange it can hit the connectors and at high speed when braking, causing damage to the connectors. Happened on my Passenger side twice, the Dealer 're routed' the wires but it happened again. Then I was told the next time it happened to check the connectors before coming in. I did and the light went out. Be advised this was not a warranty item or TSB. Go check them and make sure nothing is rolling around or can make its way under the seat?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it the red AIR BAG light from the Steering Column? You have a short in the system and the Air Bags are not working. If the light is on the technician reads the code and goes from there. It could be a clip in the Seatbelt connection but it is most likely the connectors under either one of the seats. These connectors are exposed and if anything rolls around under the seat like a bottle of water or an Orange it can hit the connectors and at high speed when braking, causing damage to the connectors. Happened on my Passenger side twice, the Dealer 're routed' the wires but it happened again. Then I was told the next time it happened to check the connectors before coming in. I did and the light went out. Be advised this was not a warranty item or TSB. Go check them and make sure nothing is rolling around or can make its way under the seat?
Thanks for the advise. I will check it out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
These wires & connecters couldn't have been placed more absurdly. These two wires are routed on the sides of the chair, with a connection block in the middle that seemed to have more than the 2 wires. I couldn't really see under there but feel around and make sure everything is tight. Now I don't even like moving that Chair or having anybody sit on it as it rattles less and I'm again Red Light Free! Good luck and report back!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These wires & connecters couldn't have been placed more absurdly. These two wires are routed on the sides of the chair, with a connection block in the middle that seemed to have more than the 2 wires. I couldn't really see under there but feel around and make sure everything is tight. Now I don't even like moving that Chair or having anybody sit on it as it rattles less and I'm again Red Light Free! Good luck and report back!
I checked the connectors.....couldn't see anything loose.........did the best I could looking under both seats, then grabbing all connectors to see if any were loose. It is just impossible to look under the seat, and grab the connectors while looking........just not much access room. After trying to tighten all connectors, the "air bag" warning light stays on.

A buddy, who is a mechanic, said he would look over the air bag system. His concern is that maybe something is wrong with the clock spring in the steering column, or a sensor. He warned that an air bag could deploy just by hitting a bump in the road. So maybe this is a safety issue????

Thanks Bob's Big Boy for your advise...........I appreciate it....Rooster22

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't think the air bags are going to trigger, never read about that in the Sonata. In fact I think the light is saying the system is off. I mentioned there is a part in the seat belt clip that can go bad which was replaced under warranty. When the code is pulled it will tell your mechanic where the problem is. I just needed to share my experience with that light, not a good light to see lit!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think the air bags are going to trigger, never read about that in the Sonata. In fact I think the light is saying the system is off. I mentioned there is a part in the seat belt clip that can go bad which was replaced under warranty. When the code is pulled it will tell your mechanic where the problem is. I just needed to share my experience with that light, not a good light to see lit!
It makes sense that the air bags are not going to trigger without an accident. If so, that would cause really bad accidents, and a massive Hyundai recall. To my understanding, that has never happened. So, I am not that concerned.

Regarding a "code pull," where and how is that done?? Does it require a special reader? A dealer prolly would charge $100 for the diagnostic work of pulling the code. I can think of lots better ways to spend $100......money is tight with me these days. I hope it is a simple job of replacing a seat belt clip to fix the problem. Don't think my 2007 would be under warranty for a no cost fix.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After posting the latest post above this one, I did a google search on the topic, and learned it is necessary to have a specific scanner tool to access SRSCM, (whatever that acronym means) by a tech servicing the SRS. Poster said what you said, that a wire connector under a seat, or a seat belt connector is the source of the problem. I will look again at the seat wiring for a problem. This is getting to be a PITA.

·
Registered
63 Posts
With Electrical any point can be the problem. The clip in my seatbelt, well I didn't know there was one, but the Dealer read the code and it tells them where to look. You can take it to many places to read the code for free, although this doesn't mean they know how to fix it. I have never done that as I deal with the Dealer. Generally anything over 5 years is not covered, although if you are the original owner you get some additional protection. Plus I bought a Contract before my Hyundai expired, contract wise. There are many other areas where these wires can go. This is something that might be important enough dropping by the dealer for a scan! I thought the light has to stay on but it gets stored in memory. Perhaps something else will pop up too?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With Electrical any point can be the problem. The clip in my seatbelt, well I didn't know there was one, but the Dealer read the code and it tells them where to look. You can take it to many places to read the code for free, although this doesn't mean they know how to fix it. I have never done that as I deal with the Dealer. Generally anything over 5 years is not covered, although if you are the original owner you get some additional protection. Plus I bought a Contract before my Hyundai expired, contract wise. There are many other areas where these wires can go. This is something that might be important enough dropping by the dealer for a scan! I thought the light has to stay on but it gets stored in memory. Perhaps something else will pop up too?

Thanks, I will see if an auto store can, or will read the SRS code. I know for OBD 2 codes, they have a code reader for that. I am reluctant to take to a dealer to pay their price for a code read. I bet it wouldn't be cheap. Guess I could call Autozone to see if they would read the code for free. Thanks for your advise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts