Sonata Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined this forum today, so am unsure of myself. I posted the following in the Sonata General Discussion section, but I don't think many dui, hands on types are there. So, here is the same post, maybe someone can help me on this tech forum.

My 2007 has a passenger sun visor that won't stay in the "up" position. If pushed up, it will droop down. Is this fixable, or need to get a new one?

How does the sun visor mount? Does the plastic cover at the head liner come off to reveal mounting screws? Because I don't know how it mounts, I don't want to pry on the plastic cover and damage it.

Thanks for any advise................Rooster22

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hmm I don't own a 2007 but visors are usually held on by a clip that just "hooks" onto your window slot and stays on via double sided adhesive. It is possible the adhesive is wearing out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The Visors are defective and were replaced free during the first 5 years. Hyundai has used the same basic Visor and same style Clip since the Hyundai Pony. The clip is not the culprit, yet can also break real easy. There are many Internet posts about this, with Velcro a possible solution. It is a safety hazard. Wait until it happens to the drivers side as well!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advise. I rather assumed the visor was broken internally where the visor rotates on its rod. I had this happen on an 80's Audi, and the only solution was to replace the sun visor. I did try wedging tooth picks inside the rod holder, but that did not work so well.

Guess I am on the hook since this car is 6 years old, and only dealer cost covered for first 5 years.

I am still stumped as to how to remove the visor. I am just reluctant to pry at the plastic cover, where the visor is affixed to the car ceiling for fear of causing damage. Any advise on how to remove the visor??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey I found what you need, but I am banned from the sister site of this forum. You might have to register.

How to replace a floppy sun visor on the NF Hyundai Sonata -PICS- - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum

Thanks Bobs Big Boy for the link. It was the perfect place to go to learn all about the bad sun visors that Hyundai put on cars for years. Must have been 100+ people that are PO about their visors breaking not once, but multiple times. Hyundai would replace if broken within the first 5 years of the car's life, mine is 6 years old, so I am out of luck. However, a link to ebay has new and improved Hyundai visors for sale at around $50, also saw advise about glueing magnets to the head liner and to the visor to cure the problem.

It appears Hyundai kept selling cars year after year with visors that broke easily. It is just another indicator that these cars are not engineered or constructed all that well. I have previous problems with a broken window winder, bad front and rear light bulb sockets, and air bag dash board warning light is still on. Not a happy owner.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It just comes on all of a sudden, and the new ones seem very much the same. As a previous Hyundai owner I know that clip it rests in can crack, so I gently pull it out and put it back. But to sag sucks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today replaced the sun visor with the one I bought from E-bay. Cost $35 + $9 for USPS delivery. The replacement looks just like the original, as it is a Hyundai part. Takes less then 2 minutes to swap out. For that price, it is worth it. New one works just fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To Rooster 22 and other 2007 Sonata sunvisor victims. I bought some magnets from Bunnings, you could them from other Hardware stores. I secured a pieace of thin steel on the sun visor and the interior so that when the sunvisor was in up position they matched, then I put a piece of the magnet on both pads, the visor stays up. Hope this helps.
Ray J Waratah. NSW.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts