Sonata Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have an engine issue with your 2008. I am around 75K miles and it started making a ticking noise in the engine. I took it in and they said that the engine was getting ready to "hand grenade". Apparently, the cap on the crank rod came off and it was banging around inside. I had the oil changed at the dealership the first 36k miles, because I did the prepaid oil changes. I have been maintaining the oil changes myself and have not seen any signs of engine issues. They pulled the oil pan off and found metal shavings in the pan from where the rod was banging around. I changed the oil as recently as the end of January and the oil looked normal. This problem developed very quickly, so if anyone has an '08 that the engine starts ticking - DRIVE straight to the dealership. I have seen a few other comments on the net about the same thing happening around the same mileage 70-80k. One post said that corporate detemined it was faulty bolts on the crank rod cap from the factory. I am wondering if mine is the same. Any insight would be helpful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The same thing started happening to ours and when we took it to a dealer, they said that there was sludge on the oil cap and wouldn't touch it under warrenty since we voided it. Took it to another mechanic and he said he couldn't figure out what was happening. This was a year ago. Yesterday, I was driving down a highway 2 hours from home and the rod and piston came flying out of the bottom of the engine and now they are wanting all oil change history to do any work. If it is a faulty bolt issue, then where can I find this info? Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
To firefighter602;2521 cap bolts on crank

I mam the guy who told the world about the crank bolt problems because when my 2008 4 cyl sonata blew up their was around 67 k and Hyundai told me it was because they had used defective bolts in the factory when I brought it in, and yes they tried to stick it to me because I changed the oil myself and never took it to places to have it done, guess it pays to be lazy, Hyundai put a new motor in my car and that engine.started to come apart just like the first one I found metal shavings in my pan and its ticking like crazy, the first time the cap came off the piston rod and shoved it through cyl 2&3 this time I shut it down before it catastrophically failed , called Hyundai and they basically said bend over and stick it, sucks to be you because my car had over 100 k although the new motor only had 65 k just like the first one, Hyundai does not back there products and will stickit to you if you give them the slightest chance to. My advice to everyone is DO NOT BUY A HYUNDAI, xlx_subzero_xlx at oohay dot com

·
Registered
1 Posts
My daugthers 2008 Hyundia Sonata, with 107,+ started knocking. She had it towed to the dealer. They told her it was the rod bearings. This is what I first through when I checked it out for her. Thanks for the info about the rod caps and bolts. We might have something to fight with now.

Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just leased 2013 Sonata May 1 & noticed a very audible tapping/ticking noise. Going back to dealer on May 7 to check noise. Will post report.

·
Registered
1 Posts
engine trouble

My 2008 is making a terrible ticking noise the dealer doesnt want anything to do with it because i had the oil changes done at places other than the dealership. it has 65,000 miles. anyone know if theirs anything i can do?

·
Registered
99 Posts
My 2008 is making a terrible ticking noise the dealer doesnt want anything to do with it because i had the oil changes done at places other than the dealership. it has 65,000 miles. anyone know if theirs anything i can do?
take it to another dealer. I dont know what they're being all smarmy for over a couple $20 dollar oil changes.

Ask them to prove that outside oil changes are the fault and then tell them to feck themselves.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone else have an engine issue with your 2008. I am around 75K miles and it started making a ticking noise in the engine. I took it in and they said that the engine was getting ready to "hand grenade". Apparently, the cap on the crank rod came off and it was banging around inside. I had the oil changed at the dealership the first 36k miles, because I did the prepaid oil changes. I have been maintaining the oil changes myself and have not seen any signs of engine issues. They pulled the oil pan off and found metal shavings in the pan from where the rod was banging around. I changed the oil as recently as the end of January and the oil looked normal. This problem developed very quickly, so if anyone has an '08 that the engine starts ticking - DRIVE straight to the dealership. I have seen a few other comments on the net about the same thing happening around the same mileage 70-80k. One post said that corporate detemined it was faulty bolts on the crank rod cap from the factory. I am wondering if mine is the same. Any insight would be helpful.
Just a quick note to tell my Sonata "Tale of woe." I bought a 08 Sonata that was a Demo car. I got a 5yr/50,000 mile warranty at the time of purchase. Jumping ahead, at 51,000 miles, the engine was making a ticking noise. Like a "Lifter" ticking noise. I brought it in and was told a day later by Service, that the ticking is a normal sound. I refuse to accept that, and about 3 days later another Service manager called to tell me the Short Block needed to be replaced. Big Bucks. But, Hyundai said they would pick up the tab strangely enough. I was very surprised. They gave me a free loaner and it took 30 days to get my car back. The Short Block came from Korea.

Here we are, 52,000 mile later with the new Short Block and on the way home from work two nights ago, the ticking started again. Within 8 miles, the ticking got louder and louder. The car then surged a bit but I lost power and couldn't go over 40mph on the express way. I exited a mile later and came to a stop. The engine died out. I opened the hood and smoke was evident. I tried to start the engine and a flame kicked up from under the hood. Also, a giant oil puddle appeared under the engine. I had it towed to my mechanic, and the next day they told me...engine #2 needs to be replaced. $3500.00. for a used engine.

So, two engines blew at 51,000 on average. Oil was always changed and the vehicle maintained well! BEWARE folks! Bad engines...4 cylinder 2.4 ltr. Never again will I buy a Hyundai! [email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts