Sonata Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got so excited, caught up and rushed (I was installing a tarp from my roof to my neighbors roof when the FedEx man made delivery) when I was doing this, I forgot to take pictures as I progressed, so all I have are the before and after pictures. :(

First, I'd like to give thanks to Number43 (bet you thought I was going to say God, LOLOLOL :p) for pointing me in the right direction to get the parts. I ended up ordering them from the Hyundai Accessory Store (www.hyundaiaccessorystore.com), $16.15 for the brake & gas pedals and $15.69 for the dead pedal foot rest. The "trick" here is these pedals are for a Tiburon, all years, so the gas pedal doesn't exactly match in size and the foot rest didn't line up exactly with the screw that comes out that is holding in the lower left trim panel.

Other than that, this is kind of simple. You simply take the stock rubber brake pedal off and slip the new one on; this is a perfect fit. There is no rubber on the gas pedal, but I actually trimmed the bottom of it to make the new pedal fit better, then put it on, top first, making sure the rubber lips on the top and both sides had slipped over the pedal and then brought it down to the bottom of the pedal. The new aluminum pedal is a little bit shorter than the stock gas pedal even with the trimming, so there is still a slight buldge of the rubber on the left side of the pedal, but the new pedal is on securely.

For the dead pedal foot rest, and I don't know if others who installed these in their cars did this or not, but I had to cut out the rubber stock rest and then cut through the padding because the foot rest had 2 round protrusions on the bottom. There is a screw hole in the foot rest (and a screw comes with it), but as I stated above, if you try and line that up with the "bolt" protrusion that is holding in the plastic trim on the lower left, the foot rest will not line up properly and cover the hole that you cut where you removed the stock foot rest. So what I did was find a longer screw, just pressed down real hard on the foot rest and the screwed the screw in. The screw anchors in the carpet and the foam padding. Since this is just a foot rest and is not something that is constantly moving back and forth, it is secure enough not to cause any problems, and IMO, more comfortable because since its not "hard mounted", you get a little "cushion feeling" when resting you foot there. I think this will help to relieve fatigue on long drives.

Anyway, here are the before and after pictures:

BEFORE

AFTER

I'm loving them already!!! :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm loving them too. The car looks more improved because of the upgrade, Congrats. What's the next project for the interior?
Basically done with the interior now, just going to do a stereo upgrade and a radar detector installation. ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Korean Auto Imports

This is the link for the NF Sonata leather wood steering wheel. It matches our wood trim :)
**** YOU! LOL! :p I've ordered stuff from them for my Genesis Coupe, but never thought to look for anything for the Sonata; now you've opened my eyes and my wallet! LOL! That steering wheel wood accent looks nice, but like you said, its a little pricey. I'm liking the LED mirror covers though, I may go for those!

Reactions: himilcyclr
1 - 7 of 7 Posts