Sonata Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again all,

I'm trying to pose this question differently now. I just bought a used 2009 Sonata GlS with the V6 and 88K miles. Prior to that I had an 07 SE with the V6 and that came with a much better suspension. It seems that my V6 GLS is nothing more than the base model with the V6. I have tried just about every online strut place, auto parts store, and even two dealers. They all told me that my V6 has the same struts as the I4. This does not make sense to me as it seems that I have the same setup as the I4 with two people sitting on my hood. This car bounces worse than my 03 Elantra. I know it does not have the sport suspention but I was wondering if I got some stiffer struts that would give me just a little better handing? I don't want to make this into a race car but also don't want to waste money getting something that is not going to make any difference. I'm just looking for a strut that might give me a little better cornering and less bounce without having to replace sway bars, springs and all the other things.

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi again all,

I'm trying to pose this question differently now. I just bought a used 2009 Sonata GlS with the V6 and 88K miles. Prior to that I had an 07 SE with the V6 and that came with a much better suspension. It seems that my V6 GLS is nothing more than the base model with the V6. I have tried just about every online strut place, auto parts store, and even two dealers. They all told me that my V6 has the same struts as the I4. This does not make sense to me as it seems that I have the same setup as the I4 with two people sitting on my hood. This car bounces worse than my 03 Elantra. I know it does not have the sport suspention but I was wondering if I got some stiffer struts that would give me just a little better handing? I don't want to make this into a race car but also don't want to waste money getting something that is not going to make any difference. I'm just looking for a strut that might give me a little better cornering and less bounce without having to replace sway bars, springs and all the other things.

Thanks,

Richard
Yeah, I too found it odd that for the 09-10 the struts are the same for the I4 and V6. That said, you can try the 06-08 V6 struts. They are different from the I4 and are for the Azera as well. There are not much options for struts/shocks. Monroe, KYB, Gabriel, Sensen, and Koni makes shocks/struts. Koni's are sport shocks, but they are expensive and more difficult to obtain. Also, KYB and Sensen (Sensen is a Chinese knockoff of KYB although they seem to have decent reviews online) are the only manufactures that has specific shocks/struts for the 06-08 V6.

The only thing that is really different on the SE model is the sway bars. This is only true for the 09-10 models, the 06-08 SE is essentially the same as the GLS/Limited. Although it is surprising that 1mm can help so much with the NF's suspension.

88k is well overdue for shocks/struts anyways, so the OEM soft, plushy suspension is going to be even more so by that mileage.

I have the 09-10 KYB shocks/struts and they seem to be holding up fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.