Sonata Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this a while ago (you can tell because I still have my stock rims, my original license plate and before I knew there was a Sonata forum, lol) so I don't have all the directions, double sticky tape, etc. to show, but I do have pictures that I took because I wanted to document if I fecked it up, LOL, so here goes!

Here is the spoiler, freshly painted, matched perfectly, purchased it from Hyundai Accessory Store (http://www.hyundaiaccessorystore.com/ shameless plug, LOL). If I recall correctly, it had little "extension plugs" that matched up to the holes that were to be drilled. This is to cut down on the possibility of rust occurring in case any water seeps in under the spoiler itself where it is "double-stickied" to the trunk.

In the box, there were instructions, double sticky tape and this template that you place on the trunk of the car that shows you where you have to punch holes, then drill into the trunk! :eek: I was scared s*&%less, lol.

Next pic shows where I initially punched the holes through the template and the trunk....OUCH!!!

These next two pictures show the holes actually drilled in the trunk. These holes were for the "protrusions" on the bottom of the spoiler to rest in creating a seal.

Next I applied the double-sticky tape to the lower lip of the spoiler where it came in contact with the trunk of the car, then matched up the protrustions with the holes and then applied the pressure of an elephant sitting on a stool, giving you a secure and very adhesive fitment. The next pics are different angles showing the spoiler installed. :D

This last pic shows the spoiler installed and the tools I used, lol. I may have left out a few steps (like having to smooth out any burrs from the drilling of the trunk; it is metal), but anything I missed or failed to include here, you will see in the instructions. ;) Thank you for taking the time to view my DIY. :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice write up and pix. How much was the spoiler?
Thanks! $202.18 total (tax, shipping & painting), back on November 16, 2009.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, have you thought about plasti-dipping your rear bumper to give it that "Diffuser" look?
You know, I've seen some 08's where I think it used to be standard for them to be black and it doesn't really catch my eye; maybe if there was a way to change it from just being "smooth" to some other more aggressive style, or if I could find another kind of exhaust, I might consider it, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it being the same color of the car for right now. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
nice DIY :D
those V6 tips make me jizz in my pants lol
i should have gotten a V6 not 4-banger lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nice DIY :D
those V6 tips make me jizz in my pants lol
i should have gotten a V6 not 4-banger lol
VIP, THANKS! Yea, I got my first Sonata in 89' and it had the same engine that they've had over the years, the 2.4L 4, so I wanted a 6 when I got this new one 20 years later. And welcome to the forum! :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts