Sonata Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2010 Sonata--and got rid of it in 2012 with 17,000 or so miles on it. I am convinced it was a lemon but the dealer could not reproduce the issue I had. Upon stepping on the gas, I consistently had a brief hesitation where the engine felt like it shut down, then would jerk to life again...the Dealer never could reproduce it, not sure they tried, but my regular mechanic felt it and told me what it was--a basic flaw in the sync between the gas peddle and the engine computer

I have a 2012 Sante Fe and I am getting the same hesitation, not as drastic, but routine---after reading various threads on this website, i am convinced this is a Hyundai design flaw---I have a 2008 Sante Fe--and I love it, runs great and no engine problems--so whatever Hyundai did between then and now is not a good thing---Hyundai I believe screwed up

·
Registered
156 Posts
That hesitation could be the "drive by wire" lag, much like what your mechanic suggested. I firmly believe it is part of their design as most manufactures would do a similar thing -although other manufactures are less conservative with this. Most modern cars with the drive by wire has a learning curve. Reset the ecu and the car seems like a different beast. Once it learns the way you drive, it tends to be much tamer and thus lags. Best thing to do is get a tune if there is one available. You gain some HP, and get little to no lag in the pedal.

·
Registered
130 Posts
That hesitation could be the "drive by wire" lag, much like what your mechanic suggested. I firmly believe it is part of their design as most manufactures would do a similar thing -although other manufactures are less conservative with this. Most modern cars with the drive by wire has a learning curve. Reset the ecu and the car seems like a different beast. Once it learns the way you drive, it tends to be much tamer and thus lags. Best thing to do is get a tune if there is one available. You gain some HP, and get little to no lag in the pedal.
Good advice, might be something the OP should look into.

Since the dealer can't warranty it cause they don't see it as a problem, I wonder what something like this might cost to do?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts