Sonata Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 2.0T w/ 18k miles had been solid for the 1st year in a half until yesterday when while accelerating I was greeted with ticking from the engine followed by extreme drive train shudder and a loud bang. I had her towed to my dealership for diagnosis. I called them this afternoon and they told me the the spark plug in cylinder 3 had lost it's tip and caused the issues. My question is how could this happen, has it happened to anyone else and what other damage could it have caused? I don't think that them replacing my plugs is going to be the end all be all.

·
Registered
130 Posts
that is really weird, not sure how something like that could happen. Was the dealership (service advisor?) willing to go into details about the issue?

maybe a better quality spark plug might sold the problem and prevent this from happening in the future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dealership service department was awaiting response from Hyundai California, I'm still awaiting word back from my dealer. As of right now I am 'nata happy!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Dealership service department was awaiting response from Hyundai California, I'm still awaiting word back from my dealer. As of right now I am 'nata happy!
something else to consider is that the piston came up too far and hit the plug or if you had plugs changed before, the person doing the install could of done a horrible job at gapping the plug making the electrode weak in the process.

did they at least give you a loaner caR?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my 'nata has been returned

Well, after a couple days, my 2011 2.0T has been returned to me. 4 new plugs and a complete detail courtesy of Tarbox Hyundai, she seems good as new. I will keep my eye's and ears open, but the throttle response and engine prrrr on the way home seemed good as new if not better. note: plugs were original with 18k miles on them

diagnosis:

broken spark plug tip in #3
missing porcelain in #2

Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else, it appears that I got lucky

·
Registered
17 Posts
I find this to be shocking, never have I expected this to happen. Thankfully now your Sonata is running right. I hope this isn't the start to more engine problems for you. In for updates :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oil smell

Well after a week or so of driving after the dealership put in new plugs, I am starting to smell oil when I stop driving, what should I do here people?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well after a week or so of driving after the dealership put in new plugs, I am starting to smell oil when I stop driving, what should I do here people?
Sucks to see you have so many issues... starting to think you might have a lemon... Check your oil level, check for oil drips, leaks, etc. If all else fails, just take it back to the dealer with your concern.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wouldn't call it a lemon, she has been great to me so far, as long as the dealership corrects the issues, I will be happy. As far as the oil smell, it could be that the electrode scratched the cylinder wall, I'm going to have my dealership remove the sparkplugs and use a borescope.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I wouldn't call it a lemon, she has been great to me so far, as long as the dealership corrects the issues, I will be happy. As far as the oil smell, it could be that the electrode scratched the cylinder wall, I'm going to have my dealership remove the sparkplugs and use a borescope.
any update?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts