Sonata Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
How about when you puch the start button and the car just keeps turning over but does not start? That's what mine is doing today. I have had zero issues or warning signs, so I am not sure why it will not start. Is there a fuel kill switch that could be tripped?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sonata wont start

My 2011 Sonata 2.0 Turbo has left me sit twice. Starts to turn over but wont start. Brake is solid and won't push in. Radio and lights still work though. If I jump it it will start. Mechanic told me Sonata's use a lot of juice if you just leave your doors open and such while cleaning the car. I'm wondering how many people have this problem. If it's a battery thing why does the radio and lights still work and the brake pedal is hard and won't go in?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Push Button Start problems

I am having the worst time with my 2011 Sonata. I bought it 2 weeks ago, with 66,000miles. Some mornings it will start, and other mornings it will not start. I had the alternator checked, the battery checked, and the starter checked. All of them were working properly. So now I am at a loss. I am tired of needing a boost every time I decide to drive my car. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad I found this forum. Just bought the car on July 4th and had this problem once before but it eventually started, then again just now when I found this. Starting the car the way it was suggested worked. Taking it back to the dealership Saturday since we had another issue with the tire they have to reimburse us for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Concerned Sonata Owner

My 2011 Sonata 2.0 Turbo has left me sit twice. Starts to turn over but wont start. Brake is solid and won't push in. Radio and lights still work though. If I jump it it will start. Mechanic told me Sonata's use a lot of juice if you just leave your doors open and such while cleaning the car. I'm wondering how many people have this problem. If it's a battery thing why does the radio and lights still work and the brake pedal is hard and won't go in?
I've been having the same problem any luck finding out what it was?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2011 Sonata 2.0 Turbo has left me sit twice. Starts to turn over but wont start. Brake is solid and won't push in. Radio and lights still work though. If I jump it it will start. Mechanic told me Sonata's use a lot of juice if you just leave your doors open and such while cleaning the car. I'm wondering how many people have this problem. If it's a battery thing why does the radio and lights still work and the brake pedal is hard and won't go in?[/QUOTE

Mine has done this twice just this week after I have gotten fuel. Once I'm jumped it is fine. And now tonight it makes this god awful noise for about 5 mind down the road and then stops or if I hit the brakes it stops until I release the brakes. What is this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
NYC beware

Sonata 2.0 T 2013 if your in NYC area of Empire State Bldg. Tha antena interferes with push start beware you will kill battery. After 2hrs called roadside assist got a jump on my way, this is redicules

·
Registered
2 Posts
already one smart key is shot! Never used it and dealer said $55. to reprogram! Can't find the key slot secretly hidden in console. Hate this car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 2.0T. I ran into a problem when I pulled up to park, and the button would not work to turn the car off. There is no key hole to use the actual key. I used my car starter to turn the car off. It took for ever but the car starter started the car again, but then I could not turn it off. While the engine was running, I could not put the car into gear.

The shop stated it may be the remote control, of course, so I would not ask for a loaner. The woman was mean, and stated It could be the car starter that was already on the vehicle when I bought it. Lastly, she stated there could have been a mouse that chewed a hose. So it is obvious to me that other people are having this issue, and it may be the manufacturer and not the car starter that I had not used the entire summer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Sonata here with push start.
FOB works to lock/unlock the doors. Fresh battery in there. Unlocks the trunk just fine.
It will not lock/unlock the car from the door handle button. When you get inside and try to start the car, immobilizer light comes on and "key not detected" pops up on the screen. ACC power does not come on. Once you insert the key in to the console, everything is business as usual.
However, if you disconnect the battery for couple of minutes and reset the electronics, SMART function comes works but only once. You can unlock the car, hit the start button and it will start the car. Once you shut the car off, SMART function goes into STUPID mode and does not work again.
I ruled out the brake switch, since not even ACC power comes on.

Did anyone else had the same symptoms?

TIA

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there,
My issue with the key fobs are that like this morning went outside to warm up car and had no issue getting in or starting the vehicle, but when my wife got in later to go the vehicle was saying that the key was not detected and so it took a few more minutes to get it going. This is the second time that the fob was left in the car when it's cold causing this issue but once you warm it up it works fine. Any ideas on what this could be? Pretty sure it's not the fob battery as I explained in the beginning here but if someone has an idea I'd like to hear it.
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue with Brake pedal solid and when I push Start button the Starter kicks in and stays on until I press the button again, but Car will not Start! Any Ideas or solutions? This happend out of the blue last night! I was able to get a jump after being connected to someone else's battery for about 20 minutes, it finally started. Drove it home, about 30-40 mins, turned car off and same issue with the Brake being Solid and car wont start. Hooked up Battery charger, and it showed the battery was between 95-100% charged! Left the charger on overnight and tried to start again this morning. NO LUCK!! HELP!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine won't turn off!

I have a 2012 Sonata Hybrid. I am having the same type of issue except mine won't turn off! There is a possibility that it has something to do with the push button start. But, I wanted to check to see if anyone else has a problem with turning the car off. I have been searching but I'm not coming up with anything about not shutting off. I had to leave my car on all night and hope that it doesn't come up missing or missing items, etc. I called Hyundai and my dealership and no one has a clue. The only warranty I have left is the power train. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Sonata here with push start.
FOB works to lock/unlock the doors. Fresh battery in there. Unlocks the trunk just fine.
It will not lock/unlock the car from the door handle button. When you get inside and try to start the car, immobilizer light comes on and "key not detected" pops up on the screen. ACC power does not come on. Once you insert the key in to the console, everything is business as usual.
However, if you disconnect the battery for couple of minutes and reset the electronics, SMART function comes works but only once. You can unlock the car, hit the start button and it will start the car. Once you shut the car off, SMART function goes into STUPID mode and does not work again.
I ruled out the brake switch, since not even ACC power comes on.

Did anyone else had the same symptoms?

TIA

I have the exact same issues, but my car won't start now without the key fob in the center console compartment. The doors won't lock from the outside either. It thinks my key is still in the car. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2011 Hyundai sonata and it has the push button start my problem isnt that the car wont start because it does. My problem is that when i do start it there is this loud sound almost like the alarm system and it doesnt stop when it first started happening it was every once in awhile then it started to do it a couple times a day now its been everyday for the past week i cant even drive it. My neighbor came by to listen to it and says that he believes its an electrical problem in my push to start where do i even begin to fix this problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a used 2011 Sonata SE with 46K miles on it. Today I went to start the car. Put foot on brake and pushed the button. It makes one quick ignition type of sound and then nothing else happens but I hear a fan like sound. All the dash lights come on fine. Any ideass
Did you ever figure out what it was having same issue thanks

21 - 38 of 38 Posts