Sonata Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received a recall (Product Improvement Campaign) notice regarding “excessive connecting rod bearing damage” on
2011-2018 2.4L GDI Sonata with 2.4L or 2.0L Turbo

The notice contains a link hyundaiusa.com/campaign953

They indicate the recall involves a software update. They extend the engine warranty to 120.000. I have a 2018 Sonata Limited and the only issue I notice is on light acceleration with about 1500 RPM I notice a low pitched sound but goes away when I accelerate to 2000 RPM or more

I was wondering if anyone else had any more detailed information or thoughts.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
As you may be aware Hyundai has a recall on 2011-2014 Hyundai Sonata's for connecting rod bearing failure at the crankshaft end, i.e. the big end bearing. Drivers have reported the engine dying in the middle of a road. Normally an engine will make a noticeable knock known as rod knock before failing. Hyundai is hoping that this campaign's software enhancement to the Engine Control Unit (ECU) will alert the driver with a check engine light prior to the engine suddenly quitting.

All modern engine's use a knock sensor to detect pre-ignition (not connecting rod knock). Pre-ignition occurs when the air/fuel mixture ignites on it's own in one big bang vs the normal slower moving flame front started by a spark, i.e. the spark plug. Per the video in the website you reference, Hyundai is adding the additional purpose of detecting connecting rod knock to the knock sensor. When pre-ignition is detected the ECU will advance the timing to have the spark occur sooner. I'm guessing that the software enhancement is checking for a constant knock and/or a different vibration.

Time will tell if the enhancement works. If it does work it is a win for owners who will be warned before being stuck on a road.

However, this campaign does not address the real question. Why is the big end bearing failing or expected to fail on an engine that was introduced in 2010 for the 2011 model year?

I also own a 2018 Sonata Limited with the Tech Package and sport grill. I really like the exterior shark like styling (yes, it's gun metal gray), greater interior space and intuitive infotainment center. Compared to the original 2011 model year engine our engines have about 1/2 pint more engine oil and different part numbers for the connecting rods and big end bearings. Hopefully those changes are enough. Only time will tell.

In regards to the noise you hear. That's a tough one. These engines make so much noise I swear there's a sewing machine under the hood as my wife drives off. The fuel pumps on these engines are the main source of the loud racket and in general fuel injectors are also noisy (like on my 2.2 Chevy Ecotec engine). No one can fully diagnose your issue on a forum. In general though, rod knocks don't go away at higher RPMs.

Make an appointment with your dealer to have them listen to the noise and install the software upgrade.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just received a recall (Product Improvement Campaign) notice regarding “excessive connecting rod bearing damage” on
2011-2018 2.4L GDI Sonata with 2.4L or 2.0L Turbo

The notice contains a link hyundaiusa.com/campaign953

They indicate the recall involves a software update. They extend the engine warranty to 120.000. I have a 2018 Sonata Limited and the only issue I notice is on light acceleration with about 1500 RPM I notice a low pitched sound but goes away when I accelerate to 2000 RPM or more

I was wondering if anyone else had any more detailed information or thoughts.

Thanks
I have a 2016 sonata hybrid premium and got the notice as well. I have 108000+ on it. Haven't taken it in yet, but when I do, I hope they find wear so I can get a new motor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I received that notice on our 2012 Sonata six month ago and had the update completed. True or not, I was told that the oil lub hole, bearing or rod journal was misaligned. I guess with so many engines that use the same crank it's easier to justify engine replacement after failure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts