Sonata Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Sonata GLS has started not starting. When I turn the key all of the regular dash lights come on and I hear the fuel pump and some other electronic device clicking in, but the ignition does not crank over. No starter motor struggling sound, no drive shaft turning, just the sound of the key going past ACC.

I had the stop lamp (or something like that) recall taken care of at the dealership last year which I thought took care of the exact same problem. Anyone have any advice for me before I take it the dealership (still under the 100K warranty) and ask them to do it again?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wanted to add that I also had the battery replaced last month in the hopes that it would solve the problem. The battery tested as failing anyway. I did not have the alternator tested and there has been no CEL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've experienced the same problem as yours. The starter's just spinning and fails to grab the crank. The Y-shaped plastic lever connected with a york and solenoid inside the starter assembly, possibly might be broken into two parts. Mine was not covered with warranty. Hyundai dealer charged me over $400, so I took off the starter by myself and replaced the plastic part with a new one (It costs only $8 in dealership). You can easily find this job in utube demonstration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0qqiOU_9t8.
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The starter does not engage during the process. It does not get that far. I am taking it to the dealership next Monday and will let you know what they find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Halfanhour,

The brake light does come on - well now that I swapped out the old EOM wiring harness tonight for the POS one that came with the aftermarket driver's side tail light. "Someone" broke that light a couple of years ago and I swapped in a knock off.

I don't think it is the solenoid because when it doesn't start there are none of the traditional noises like whirring or a loud click. When it does start it is as if nothing was ever wrong.

I took it to the stealership and they charged me $50 to tell me they had no idea what it could be. No codes, could not duplicate the problem (I hate that answer), and the stop lamp switch recall equipment was well within spec (they stepped on the brakes and the lights came on - except for the driver's side, hmmm). I wonder why they didn't try to sell me on their $60 bulb replacement. Luckily they left a new spare one rattling around in the light housing. Not going back to that dealer again.

They did want to charge me $240! to replace the busted driver's window switch as well. I told them no thanks and found the entire panel on eBay for about $40 with a 90 warranty. I'll pop it in myself.

I had an old Ford Falcon (Boss 302 - wish I still had it), where you needed to lift up on the shift lever to get it to start. I am noticing that if I wiggle the stick shift on this Sonata it starts. I will make a note of if it works every time. If so, I'm leaning towards a bad neutral safety switch. Another job I can do myself rather than have the dealer over charge me. Or an anti-theft device the car has provided me. No secret wiggle, no start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts