Sonata Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In manual (sport mode) the car will shift from 1st to 3rd and skip 2nd all together. In Auto mode, I feel that the car shifts like it's supposed to from 1st to 2nd to 3rd etc. This is definitely a problem. Has anyone heard of any update or is this what we're stuck with?

Sorry for the sound issues...I put my GoPro in the wrong case so it's sealed instead of open. I think you can still hear what I'm saying though.

Here's what's happening.

1. Manual mode in 2nd gear to shift into 3rd. No problems with starting in 2nd gear roll on.

2. After a turn around, manual mode from start in 1st. Shift skips 2nd and goes into 3rd.

3. Auto mode shifts fine from 1st to 2nd to 3rd.

4. With traction control on, manual mode from start in 1st. Shift skips 2nd and goes into 3rd. I wanted to run in both traction control and no traction control to make sure that wasn't an issue...and it wasn't. The trans still skipped 2nd gear. Ridiculous IMO.

I'm planning on stopping by the dealer tonight to see what their techs say about the issue and the video.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shift issues

I recently bought a 2012 sonata turbo and was having the same issues ... after researching I found that this is normal ... if you read the manual it states that it will automatically shift for you to prevent it from going into the red line .. so what is happening is that we are shifting then the car is shifting .. kind of gay .. that is what "sports" mode is supposed to be .. letting you have control .. 2 things you can do ... either don't shift and let it do it for you (defeats the purpose) or what I do is shift a bit sooner such as at 5000 rpm .. hope this helps .. enjoy the car .. it is a fun one ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently bought a 2012 sonata turbo and was having the same issues ... after researching I found that this is normal ... if you read the manual it states that it will automatically shift for you to prevent it from going into the red line .. so what is happening is that we are shifting then the car is shifting .. kind of gay .. that is what "sports" mode is supposed to be .. letting you have control .. 2 things you can do ... either don't shift and let it do it for you (defeats the purpose) or what I do is shift a bit sooner such as at 5000 rpm .. hope this helps .. enjoy the car .. it is a fun one ...
I don't believe that's what's going on here though. I shift well before redline in first and it still skips second....there's absolutely no reason why the car shouldn't be able to be shifted where I was, drop to 4.5-5k RPM (like it does in auto) and pick up in 2nd. The trans controller is either messing up or the engine ECU is...I'm convinced of this.

I didn't get to go to the dealer last night but I left a message and still haven't heard back. Going to call again now.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't believe that's what's going on here though. I shift well before redline in first and it still skips second....there's absolutely no reason why the car shouldn't be able to be shifted where I was, drop to 4.5-5k RPM (like it does in auto) and pick up in 2nd. The trans controller is either messing up or the engine ECU is...I'm convinced of this.

I didn't get to go to the dealer last night but I left a message and still haven't heard back. Going to call again now.
Might want to try an ECU flash, sometimes it's as easy as disconnecting and connecting the car's battery. Not sure if the Sonata works the same way but it's worth a shot. Or just go into the dealership and have them flash it to fix.

·
Registered
41 Posts

What happens when you go full power acceleration going to automatic upshifts? Does the second gear engage then?
This could be a case where transmission programming sees early shift as not requiring second gear for better economy. Speaking of that, were you out of ECO selection ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts