Sonata Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came home with my new 2013 Sonata with Navigation. I’m having a problem with the Bluetooth. I have it all paired up and can receive calls and dial them manually on the screen. But when I hit the voice activation button and say “CALL DAD” It brings me to a screen and asks me for a name. I then say “DAD” and it brings me to another screen and asks me to pick which one I want to call. “Dad” is on this list but there are other names from my address book too and I have to hit the number Dad is next to.

I traded in my 2011 Sonata Limited for this car and in my 2011 I would just say “call dad” and it would ring dad. No questions asked.

Since this is a newer car, there has to be something wrong as I can’t imagine having to go through all of that just to make a call.
What am I doing wrong? I unpaired the phone and set it all back up. Uploaded my contacts but that didn’t work. I have an iPhone 4s, but tried with my husbands 4 and my daughters 5 and still same thing.
I’m going from a 2011 Limited to a 2013 SE 2.0, fully loaded. I think I might have TOOO much going on in the cockpit!! Need to read and get used to all of it. This problem I searched and found that I’m doing everything correct (I think!)
Any help would be appreciated as I have spent the last 24 hours searching the internet for this problem and can't seem to find an answer

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think that the name recognition works better when you use a 4 letter name or more. Try creating another contact with dad's information, but instead of using "dad" try his actual name, e.g. John.

Then, re-synch your contacts and try "Call John."

That's what worked for me. Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did try that, and still nothing. I just spoke to my salesman for the 3rd time about this. THe day after I purchased I took it back to him to show him and he said he never saw this before.
Now over a week later he calls me to tell me this
My car will not be able to "call dad" because it has the navigation system and I need to go through all those steps.

I know this is complete BS and I'm trying to find video's on other Sonata's with the nav that do it correctly.
Basically he said I'm out of luck.
Very frustrated right now...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I was short. I did change the name. I was trying to call "Tim" my husband. I then tried "Alyssa" and other names, still nothing.
Each time this is exactly what happens...(i video tapes it to show dealer)

I push button
Car - Command Please
me - Call Alyssa
car - Number please
(I cancel)

Car - Command Please
me - Call Alyssa
car - Please say the name
(I cancel)

Car - Command Please
me - Call Alyssa
Car - Invalid command in current mode Track 10

then if I keep trying it runs through all 3 things all over, first number, then name then invalid command.

Obviously something is wrong.
who can I contact if my dealer is telling me it's right??

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had some troubles with this at first but figured it out. When you are calling say "Dad" you give the voice command "Call name" then it will ask you what name. That's when you say "Dad". If you have more options to call Dad like Mobil or work you say "Dad Mobile"

What you do is read word for word what the command is off the display. That should help you out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, not sure if this will help but I just bought my Sonata and have been going thru sites reading up on them and a different site mentioned that if you have the name in all caps it doesn't work. Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Problems with Call back

You might want to try these different things if you haven't already. There is a place in the menu somewhere (and I apologize I don't remember where offhand) where it will run through something like a "voice recognition" with you. It says words and you repeat them. I'm assuming this is so the computer recognizes how you speak. For example, people with southern drawls definitely sound much different than me.
I'm not sure if you might want to try this (or if you already have). I cannot say "call Mom." With my Sonata I have to say "call name" and then it will ask for the name. I verbally respond by saying "mom." If it recognizes what name I said it will say "do you want to call mom on cell phone" and I reply "yes" and then it dials the number. I can also say "call number" and it will ask for the number and I verbally say it. Then it repeats the number, I believe it asks "is this correct." I say "yes" and it says "go ahead please" and I say "dial." It seems like a lot of steps but when you want to be safe it's the best way. Unfortunately it does not understand me about 1/4 of the time when I say a name. I have no problem with it recognizing numbers when I call them out. When I say my DH's name, it brings up 4 other names and it will ask "which line would you like to call." If one of the names was the one I wanted, I would just then say "Line 2" or whatever. Sadly my DH's name (which is one of the most common male names in U.S. and has been for probably 50 years) will not get recognized. It will list 4 names that all have a long "A" sound but not his. And I actually did the voice recognition. Let me know if this works for you. I hate having to say "call name" and going through those steps but it works. My husband's 2013 Ford Fusion allows him to just say "call Jane" and it does.
Another thing I suggest to you and other owners who are having issues with their cars, please, please, please continue to keep taking your car back for service until they make it right. If you are the only person who complains then it's just you. If thousands of people complain about the same issue, there is definitely a problem. I am posting a problem I have with my navigational system so if someone reads this and has that issue, please read my post.

Sorry, I was short. I did change the name. I was trying to call "Tim" my husband. I then tried "Alyssa" and other names, still nothing.
Each time this is exactly what happens...(i video tapes it to show dealer)

I push button
Car - Command Please
me - Call Alyssa
car - Number please
(I cancel)

Car - Command Please
me - Call Alyssa
car - Please say the name
(I cancel)

Car - Command Please
me - Call Alyssa
Car - Invalid command in current mode Track 10

then if I keep trying it runs through all 3 things all over, first number, then name then invalid command.

Obviously something is wrong.
who can I contact if my dealer is telling me it's right??

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2013 limited loaded. Previous person said it right. Press the command button and look at the options on the screen. You have to say "Call Name" then she will respond "Name Please. You have to get use to it. My gripe is the passenger seat sitting so low. I posted a thread on it but no one responded. Good luck with your car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
speed dialing

Just set up speed dialing in your phone and the system will pick it up when you get in the car. It is way quicker to reach over and push and hold a single key to call "Dad" then it is to wait for that tedious voice command system...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2013 limited loaded. Previous person said it right. Press the command button and look at the options on the screen. You have to say "Call Name" then she will respond "Name Please. You have to get use to it. My gripe is the passenger seat sitting so low. I posted a thread on it but no one responded. Good luck with your car.
Is this only for the Limited's? I have a 2013 GLS and I can hit the command button and just say "Call Bro" (Bro is how my brother is actually entered in the contacts). The next screen just says "Call Bro, is this correct?" and I just say Yes and it dials.

·
Registered
1 Posts
we have 2012 limited turbo with Nav - had problems with importing contacts and call history. extremely frustrating!!!! After much research on our part - Hyundai was useless in helping - wanted us to send the whole unit out for repair... we purchased a map update for $99 from Mapnsoft.com which is Hyundai's map update company. After updating, all Bluetooth issues were immediately corrected. Hyundai technical is terrible - they don't have a clue. We purchased version 7 I believe. Good Luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts