Sonata Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata with 45,000 miles on it.. Lately it has randomly been losing power. I'll be on the freeway going 70mph and then it'll just start to lose power.. I can usually get it going again by taking my foot off the gas and pushing it a couple times.. It'll also happen even if I'm in my neighborhood going 15mph.. It just randomly happens, but it's scaring me.. I've had it at Hyundai for 2 days and they can't figure it out and have no idea.. Amyone have this problem or know what it could be?? Thank you!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata with 45,000 miles on it.. Lately it has randomly been losing power. I'll be on the freeway going 70mph and then it'll just start to lose power.. I can usually get it going again by taking my foot off the gas and pushing it a couple times.. It'll also happen even if I'm in my neighborhood going 15mph.. It just randomly happens, but it's scaring me.. I've had it at Hyundai for 2 days and they can't figure it out and have no idea.. Amyone have this problem or know what it could be?? Thank you!
That sure is scary especially on speeding highway. Have you let checked at the dealer?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re

Hey mate, do you have normal intake temperature? What about the oil temperature? Low oil temperature can result in this issue. Also high intake temperature will result in heatsoak and it can affect your power. I had this issue with my car. I had issues with my oil temperature. I got it fixed from Service Plus Car Care Centre | Car Maintenance Services & Repair Shop - Service Plus, Etobicoke. Just check your temperatures! if it doesn't help, get your car tuned. That should fix your issue. Good luck mate :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sonata Limited 2008

I have the same issue, took it to Firestone they said since nothing on the dashboard was lite the diagnostic will not provide any reliable diagnosis. Mine just drops from 60mph to 20mph and I have take the foot off paddle and make sure I don't go above 2 on the odometer its annoying especially in highway. I have take the vehicle to the dealers. guess they can diagnose the issue and fix it without costing me an arm and a leg.... I have my doubts if Hyundai know its an issue and fix it by recalls or something like that..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2007 Sonata with the difference of yours, mine I have to pull over and place it on Parking shut it off and crank it back on. Does anyone outhere have a clue? It's driving me crazy��������

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem! I have a 2012 Sonata Limited 2.4L engine. It Intermittently Loses power while my accelerator is depressed and I'm driving 65 mph on the freeway! Also happens when I'm at a red light and when it turns green and I press the accelerator, it doesn't go! I have to take my foot off the accelerator and then press it down again. At first I thought it was a fluke, then 3 months later it is still happening intermittently. The dealership connected it to the computer diagnosis and NO error codes came up. They don't know what is wrong with my car. I already had the engine replaced at 28,500 miles. I had my gear shaft cable replaced too since it got stuck in "Park" and wouldn't let me put it into "Drive". Someone please tell me what to do!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I have a 2012 2.0T sonata and I’m having problems with it. I’ll be driving and then the powers just goes out. I thought is was the waste gate actuator but I took it to a Hyundia dealership and they said everything checked out good. I’m at a lose for what’s wrong.

·
Registered
48 Posts
On my former 2009 Genesis V8, (Motor Trend Car Of The Year) it would also "die" for second or two when leaving a Stop Sign or a Red Light. Not every time, but often. Always scared the Cxxp out of me. Could never find the problem in the vehicle computer. I guess the problem continued for a few years.

Thank goodness both my 2015 and 2018 Sonatas don't have this problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Power loss on turbo generally found to be wastegate adjustment... has any body actually scan the thing to see if any dTC hiding in memory ??

Had seen a few tubes blow off early on, but that been a problem in a good while

Seen them eat spark plugs, had 1 that took out turbo,, put plugs in, idled smooth, went for test drive,, no motivation,, flatter than all get out for get up and go... turbo fan on hot side bent and stuck in bore, fan not rotate.. Hyundai Motor dont pay crap for WARRANTY turbo/manifold replace

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally found the problem: After replacing numerous parts, the problem turned out to be a bumper stop for the brake light switch located under the dash near the brake pedal. When this part wears out/fails the symptoms are, loss of acceleration, sudden deceleration at speed, (basically not going). the reason for this is that the car thinks the brake pedal is being depressed, and on a drive by wire throttle will shut the throttle body down! The part cost is around $2.00 and takes about 30 seconds to replace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife's was doing the same thing.also break lights were blowing one or twice a week. I replaced the break light socket's with the one's from auto parts store and they didn't work because they were just as cheap.so I went to junkyard and the first car I came to with three wire tail lights was a Saab so I clipped them out and wired them to mine . I had to open up the hole a little bit with plyers and tape them in place but it works . And as crazy as it sounds it also fixed the stall or un responsive throttle and yes I know I'm a hack but I'm was tired of playing with this. This 2013 has 167,000 on it we have had it for six years and I love this car however I wish hyundai would step up and fix this problem.as it is a safety issue.if they korea wants to compete with the Japs they got to do better and stand behind their product:cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally found the problem: After replacing numerous parts, the problem turned out to be a bumper stop for the brake light switch located under the dash near the brake pedal. When this part wears out/fails the symptoms are, loss of acceleration, sudden deceleration at speed, (basically not going). the reason for this is that the car thinks the brake pedal is being depressed, and on a drive by wire throttle will shut the throttle body down! The part cost is around $2.00 and takes about 30 seconds to replace.
Hello, can you tell me where to get that bumper stopper? Does it called by any other name? I have 2013 hyundai sonata i hv the same problem

1 - 17 of 17 Posts