Sonata Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my first extended highway drive with my brand new 2013 Hyundai Sonata I noticed a problem. Driving in a straight line is near impossible. This seems rudimentary I know; a car should track in a straight line with no issue. But as many others have noticed my 2013 Sonata would not. More noticeable at highway speeds, but also at city speeds, the vehicle requires constant correction to maintain a straight track. In a few words, the car simply 'wanders' or 'drifts' left and right, with no real 'centered' feel to the steering. Maintaining a straight track is impossible and requires constant attention and correction. The vehicle wander creates hazardous driving conditions and driver fatigue, which poses a public safety hazard. The vehicle has been brought to three different Hyundai dealerships for resolution, and all three Hyundai dealerships deny there is a problem. Has anyone else here had this problem? If you have I'd love to hear your story. I've also decided to set up a blog to track my progress in fixing the issue with my Sonata here 2013hyundaisonata.blogspot.com.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am sorry that you are having this difficultly. I have read many posts, articles, etc that relate the steering issue. I am grateful that my 2013 Sonata Limited is not experiencing this issue and tracks straight down the road with no corrective effort taken by me. I will keep up with your progress and hopefully, your resolution. Good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
i notice this on my 2012 hybrid i got 2 weeks ago (which was built in Dec 2012). i drive back and forth on the highway to work every day, 55 miles round trip and i know exactly what you are talking about. for me its not too bad, but i do notice it. getting ready to drive from Charlotte to Atlanta (about 260 miles each way) so i will see if it really causes an issue for me on a longer haul

keep us posted

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I think its not the problem of the steering because according to my knowledge its due to the bad alignment of wheels. becuase when the wheels are not aligned they do this kind of problem. I hope you got what I am saying.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Noticing this on my new limited '13 as well. The vehicle will pull/veer to left while driving. Going to take it in and see what the dealership says, wish I had known about this before I made the purchase.

·
Registered
33 Posts
mine doesn't pull it just kind of wanders. i was gonna go to atlanta, but not anymore, but i did drive from charlotte to asheville yesterday and once we got into the mountains the wind picked up and it was really hard to keep the car in my lane, didnt really feel safe. not sure what to think about it or if i should report that to my dealer

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'd go back to the dealer and get them to check the alignment. If the alignment checks out fine it Good thing is that you have warranty. Get it fixed now vs later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really have to fight with the steering wheel to keep the car going straight. after 45 minutes of driving on interstate my arms were sore from fighting the steering wheel. is this normal? according to the hyundai rep it is common to 2011 sonata. i am suppose to just get used to it. this one mechanic confirmed that every other sonata owners come complain about this problem.
---------------
2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS

·
Registered
33 Posts
it shouldn't be normal, but i think it is how electronic steering works, it does take some getting used to. not sure if there is a fix for it, but there might be one day. i drive 30 minutes on the highway to and from work, it doesn't make me tired, but i do have to correct the car more often than i used to

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a fix for the 2013 Sonata GLS. I was able to get my dealer to change the steering sensitivity to Sport mode which they say will tighten it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my 2013 limited does this . . at first i thought it was me..then the wind..but its all the time..hopefully they come up with a good fix because it sucks . .

·
Registered
3 Posts
something that seemed to help a little bit was making sure the tire pressure is perfect...but its still very noticeable .. I think i'm going to take mine in.. mine is a '13 limited 2.0t .....I "wander" what they're going to tell me..:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2012 Sonata Limited turbo. I had the same problem with the car wandering from side to side. I took it to an alignment shop, since the dealer kept saying it's nothing, and they found and corrected an alignment problem. Drives better now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i rented a 2013 sonata for trip. it has 23k m.. it wanders a lot and seems very dangerous. So i googled the issues and ended up here.

it's very sensitive to the road condition (ruts etc..) it seems like there is a dead zone with the wheel at the neutral position so over steering can happen. The front tires are worn a lot more than the rear. I'm half way through my 600mi trip.. im going to try and have the rental company swap me out, the car is dangerous!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let me share from another post:

We purchased a brand new 2013 Sonata just a couple of months ago (April 2013). We liked everything about the car except the steering.

Like many others we found it difficult to keep the car in the lane going straight. It was very easy to wander, and driving was feeling like a full-time job. We spoke to the service department at the dealer we purchased it from and they said that there was an adjustment that they could do. We took it in and they said they did the adjustment. However, whatever they did it didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference.

We saw comments on the Internet that some found an adjustment that made a difference and others just tried a number of different things. I called Hyundai Customer Relations and inquired about a steering adjustment. They said there is none. So I lodged a complaint with them stating that we are not satisfied with the steering. They suggested we take the car to another Hyundai service location.

We did take it to another service center and were very fortunate to get a wonderful service desk person, and she brought out their master technician for us to speak to. We described the problem and he said that it is a problem with the Sonatas that their steering is too sensitive, that it is because it has electronic steering instead of hydraulic steering. We told him that we had driven a 2012 Sonata before we purchased the 2013 and it didn't feel that way. He said that the 2012 had an adjustment, but he didn't think the 2013 did. But he decided to check anyway.

He brought out his service computer, and plugged it into a port near the steering wheel. He brought up the selection dealing with steering. There were two line items. The first line item was not what he wanted, but the second one was. In that second selection were four options for the steering: GLS, Hard, Soft, and Sport. We chose Soft. (It was set on GLS.) It actually took him less than five minutes to make the adjustment.

We immediately took it out for a test drive, and before we left the parking lot, my husband said that he could feel the difference already. It has been five days since then, and both of us feel that it is a tremendous improvement from what the steering was before. It is still not as soft as our 2000 Camry, but it is a very big improvement from how it was before. We can now feel comfortable driving the car, and we are looking forward to taking it out on a long drive over the holiday, without swerving back and forth on the road.

Apparently the first service center did nothing to change the factory setting, but we watched the technician at the second service center change the selection. We went back to him after the test drive and told him our thoughts. He said he would test it out himself later on another 2013 Sonata, as he also felt the steering is too sensitive for his liking.

TO THOSE WHO ARE NOT SATISFIED WITH THE SONATA STEERING: See if you can get a tech to hook up his computer and make the adjustment for you.

TO HYUNDAI: Please send out a service bulletin to all your service techs informing them of this option. You will have many, many, MANY, more happy Sonata customers, and many less complaints. As to safety, customers need to feel that they can keep the car in the lane. Having a wandering car is certainly [ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HV08VU8"]NOT safe[/ame].

·
Registered
3 Posts
It seems Hyundai has properly dealt with this issue in the past at least according to the report I just read.
I would like to believe Hyundai is going to do the right thing. I haven't bought this car yet.

Wandering steering would be a definate dealbreaker

Hyundai to fix wandering Sonatas after Jalopnik report
After two trips to my dealership and one to another dealership where both denied a problem with my wandering 2014 Sonata which I just bought and reported problem immediately, I filed a Complaint with Hyundai. They also denied my wandering issue and it so very clearly wanders. Believe in God, believe in the Easter Bunny, but don't believe in Hyundai. If you must buy Hyundai, take it home overnight and road test it on the highway. Try before you buy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts