Sonata Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2.4 2017 Sonata new. Starting using a lot of oil at 85,000 miles. After going thru Oil Consumption Process I am getting a new engine. The Dealership said they are replacing everything but the electrical parts of the engine.

Questions I have The engine now has 93,000 on it...I was...going to replace spark plugs and knock sensor....should I replace anything else.

Not sure what the new engine warranty is. Not sure if they are going to pay for the rental car while the warranty work is done.

The are going to replace soon...you quick responses would be appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same thing happened with my 2012 Sonata. 131,000 miles. But I had received a notice from Hyundai that my engine was warrated for the life of the car. Started having trouble with my key fob. Replaced the battery to no avail. Then on the freeway, the car just cut out. All trouble lights on. Pulled to the side and restarted it. Noticed a knocking sound from the engine and the acceleration was diminished. Took it to the dealer and they said oil was really low. 3.5 quarts down put of a 4.5 quart resevoir. Did an oil change and they said to just watch the oil level. Went out on the freeway and noticed a real bad knocking from the engine and the check engine light came on with really reduced power . Returned to the dealer. the advisor came out, revved the engine and said they would take a look at it. Came into the waiting room 15 minutes later and said it looked like the crankshaft bearing was toast due to the low oil.

I had received a notice from Hyundai that the engine was warrated for the life of the car. So they are giving me a new engine. Will take two weeks. And Hyundai is paying for my rental car.

I hope your warranty is as good.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts