Sonata Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
According to my guide they may rub on the inside, its too close to tell and may come down to the actual tire you choose. (tires are like shoes, some run larger than others even though them may be listed as the same size) The max we recommend for your stock wheels is a 235/45R18

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I have a 2009 Sonata that had 16" OEM steel wheels and just bought a set of Hyundai pull-offs. The size that was advertised was 245/45/18. When having them mounted, turns out two tires were 245/45/18 and other two were 225/45/18. I was like what the heck?!? So had the 225's put on front and 245's on rear. They look GREAT! But now the rear tires are rubbing big time anytime I carry a passenger or put any weight in back seat or trunk. Any suggestions on how to fix the rubbing and lack of future tire rotation? Should I just bite the bullet and get 225/45/18 size tires for the rear too?

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Its likely rubbing because of your rear wheel's width and offset. If the wheels and tires came off a Genesis Coupe than the rear wheels are 18x8 while the front wheels are 18x7.5. If you want to keep the wheels then buying two more matching 225/45r18 tires is probably the best way to fix your rub issue. This won't fix your rotation issue (not in a simple way anyway). If all of your tires were 225/45R18 you'd need to dismount, rotate and remount your tires on different wheels every time you wanted to rotate them. Your front wheels will need to stay in the front and your rear wheels will need to stay in the rear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Wow, I was afraid I was going to have to buy two more tires but didn't think the offset would be different ...ouch! I had a friend show me today that they were from a Genesis, since his Genesis has the same setup....245 rear n 225 front. He said he's going to do some research tonight to see if rolling fenders and/or stronger shocks would help??? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Wow, I was afraid I was going to have to buy two more tires but didn't think the offset would be different ...ouch! I had a friend show me today that they were from a Genesis, since his Genesis has the same setup....245 rear n 225 front. He said he's going to do some research tonight to see if rolling fenders and/or stronger shocks would help??? Thanks again.
Your Sonata has a rear fender lip that protrudes 25mm inward so rolling the fender will likely give you the clearance you need.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Your Sonata has a rear fender lip that protrudes 25mm inward so rolling the fender will likely give you the clearance you need.
Dumb question... how do you roll a fender?

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts