Sonata Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a DIY front BBK. You can source the parts from where ever - I got the calipers from the junkyard. I bought EBC GreenStuff, they have good bite, but they're **** dusty.

What you need:
04-05 XG350 (also 04-06 Kia Amanti) front calipers (the 02-03 are also 2pot, but have smaller rotors... this might fit the stock V6 rotors, but not confirmed)
04-05 XG350 pads
06+ Veracruz front rotors

Everything bolts up. Only one thing to note... the XG calipers are mounted "leading", the NF is "trailing" mounted (link - in case you don't know). So you need to flip the calipers around (left caliper on passenger side, and right caliper on driver side). This will ensure the bleeder screw is closest to the top in order to bleed properly.

pics...

Junkyard calipers I bought

cleaned up

rebuilt w/ new pistons

banjo fitting

bottom dust shield (about even but not touching the rotor)

top/side dust shield (about even but not touching the rotor)

top of pads (pad is about 1mm from rotor edge)

bottom of pads (doesn't cover entire rotor ~ 1/4" - I since painted the rotors and this part)

caliper mounted

behind 09-10 Limited alloys (17x6.5 et 46)

caliper clearance from wheels

closer...

Overall, the brakes are a nice improvement... probably mostly from the pads, but still... Pedal feels about the same, but I can feel the difference in stopping power compared to the stock setup. Also, I tried and these will not fit 16" wheels - won't clear caliper. Rears are still stock size... I don't think anyone really upgrades the rears much, also the rears have a larger center bore for the rotors, something like 76mm, but scales down to 67.1mm for the wheels. Another option for the front rotor might include the 11+ Optima SX/Turbo front rotor - they are 320mm, but no aftermarket yet. This also might work for the YF, but someone with one needs to confirm... I measured the distance between the caliper mount holes and they are about 5.0625" (5 1/16).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice mod! What kind of offset do you need on your rims to run those calipers?
As long as you have 17+ rims you should be fine. I'm running the stock 17s with +46 offset.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Wow. Did you clean the caliper up and rebuild the piston yourself?

Can you explain how you cleaned the caliper up like that? Mines is rusted and I have no clue how to make it look like new either than buying a new caliper. HELP ME OUT

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. Did you clean the caliper up and rebuild the piston yourself?

Can you explain how you cleaned the caliper up like that? Mines is rusted and I have no clue how to make it look like new either than buying a new caliper. HELP ME OUT
Hi, sorry I didn't see this sooner.

I used Evapo-Rust the first few times. It worked awesome, but I needed more of it and it costs too much to justify it. So I used white vinegar. Soaked it for a day and then dipped it in a water and baking soda solution to prevent it from rusting again and dried it with a cloth. I bought 2 gallons of white vinegar @ Sam's club for a little under $2.00 so it was a much better alternative.

Don't soak the pistons in the vinegar. The vinegar will eat away at the finish and the piston will become useless and pitted.

·
Registered
130 Posts
WOW Im very impressed with what you did with that caliper from the scrap yard. My friend has a old toyota project car that really needs some of this stuff. Good to see this!

Love your build thread, keep them coming :D MOARR!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you RicerR. My car is a 2012 Sonata 2.0T SE. I just completed your brake upgrade so to answer your question the XG350 calipers do fit the YF. I had to get 1.5mm thread pitch bolts for the XG calipers since the stock YF ones are 1.25mm pitch. I used DiscAtalia slotted rotors front and back for 2010+ Optimas they have the same height as the YF therefore no shim required. I also upgraded the rear caliper by using Optima turbo calipers since they have a 38mm piston instead of the YFs 34mm piston. Hawk KPS pads up front and EBC red in the back. 17 inch and 18 inch wheels clear the front calipers but the spare does not - therefore if you get a flat on the front you will have to put the donut on the rear and move the rear road wheel to the front.

Again thank you for your inspiration and for sharing all your research.

ogwab47

1 - 9 of 9 Posts