Sonata Forums banner

6000K HIDs Installed Today

9K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  toxicbeats 
#1 ·
Had a friend help me install my 6000K HIDs today with low profile ballasts and wiring harness. So happy with them! They are nice, white and very bright! It's time to take a break and let my wallet recover from mods.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
nice. i did 6000k as well. i used to do 8000k on all my cars in the past, but it seems nowadays everyone is doing 8k-10k and i'm sick of seeing blueish lights all over the **** road!! i like my 6k look, because it matches pretty well with the other lights i have, as well as the DRL LED strips above the fogs. i also did 8000k hid's in the foglights. are you gonna do that?

I was thinking about it, Rich but I think I'm going to go with 6000K LEDs for the fogs. I too dislike the blue tint headlights that are out there . To each their own!

#8 ·
...You should take a picture of your Sonata in the dark so that we can see those new headlights in action.
Here you go Mr. Smith. 6000K HIDs on my Sonata.

Attachments

#6 ·
I really like the 6000K color. This is my second set. I understand the 4300Ks are closer to stock in color? My 6000Ks are a nice bright white color.

Reactions: Diode Dynamics
#9 ·
That is correct, most factory HID equipped vehicles are 4300K. Additionally, 4300K has the most usable light output, but many prefer the looks of the 6000K.

With 6000K you'll sacrifice a very small amount of usable light output, but it's still a tremendous upgrade over stock IMO.

Nick C.

#7 ·
Thanks Nick for posting the color chart! :)

#12 ·
I'm thinking of replacing the Hi's with some hi power lights because I'm in the country. So I guess the 8000K is the direction to go? Or is that too much?
(what am I saying! Is there such a thing as too much?) What do you mean by "usable light". You stated that the 6000K will sacrifice a small about of usable light. If they are brighter, what gets lost?

#13 ·
Need help quick!!

Okay, I installed my 6000k HIDs at first they were great, until I went to the drive in and tried to shut off my lights to be respectful. The lights flickered then shut off, so I thought they were off. No. They blew, so I had to drive home bright lighting people. I have no idea how to stop this flickering and I installed them a second time and they worked great now one has randomly blown. I haven't tried shutting my lights off or anything I just got in my car and saw it was out. Please I need help, I live on country roads and deer are insane. Thank you so much!:(

#14 ·
Okay, I installed my 6000k HIDs at first they were great, until I went to the drive in and tried to shut off my lights to be respectful. The lights flickered then shut off, so I thought they were off. No. They blew, so I had to drive home bright lighting people. I have no idea how to stop this flickering and I installed them a second time and they worked great now one has randomly blown. I haven't tried shutting my lights off or anything I just got in my car and saw it was out. Please I need help, I live on country roads and deer are insane. Thank you so much!:(
Send us an email and we can assist you: contact@diodedynamics.com or give us a call (314) 205-3033

It might be something as simple as an HID relay, or the module itself needing to be replaced.

We will get you taken care of, please contact us

Nick C.

#18 ·
I will be installing 12000K HID bulbs mostly for appearance and of course for upgrading to a better light output than stock halogen bulbs. I have never gone above 8000K so this will be a new venture. Only thing I'm worried about is whether or not I will need a relay to have solid light output and avoid flickering or complete shut off as I have read many times that one is needed, and I've also read equal comments saying you don't need a relay. How serious is this? Should I install my kit first and then worry about a relay later if I have output issues? So far I'm going to try it without the relay. Also, has anyone increased the fuse size and fixed the problem? I will search some more threads and see if I find any answers to my questions, but I thought I would post this just in case it might provide help for me and others who will face the same problem if they upgrade their system to HID lighting.

#19 ·
You should always install a relay for added protection. Most Hyundai vehicles will require them to function correctly as well

I would highly recommend staying at 8000K or lower, as you'll sacrifice a significant amount of usable output by going with 12,000K. In addition, it's pretty ricey looking and kinda cheapens the look of your vehicle (IMO)

Check out our research section to learn more about HID lighting: Research

Thanks!
Nick C.

#21 ·
Brightness of light for HIDs is usually measured in lumens, or the total amount of light generated. Lumens are the unit of luminous flux, which is the total power of light. To measure lumens, an HID bulb is placed inside a sealed reflective sphere, known as an integrating sphere, and its light is bounced around in all directions in the sphere (integrated) so its power of light can be measured at one point, and then calculated into lumens based on the size of the sphere.

As you move higher up the Kelvin scale more UV light is produced, which is not visible to the human eye, and therefore not "usable light output".

HID Brightness - HID - Research

Nick C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.