Sonata Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Probably not a good sign if my first post asks for help, eh?

About a week ago, I bought a 1998 V6 Sonata. Overall, it is in ok shape for a used Michigan car (what do you expect for $400 anyway). 130K on it if it matters. Did not notice on the test drive around block, but on the 170 mile trip home, there was no overdrive. 3k RPM at 60 MPH the whole way. The button on the shifter does not do anything, nor does the transmission mode button in center console. Is there anything that would be an easy check? I can feel and hear it shift into 2nd and 3rd, but no 4th/OD; does not even try. Almost seems as if a solenoid is inoperative or a wire unplugged disabling the OD.

I drained the trans fluid out of the pan the second day I had the car. It was brown and old, but did NOT smell burnt. I refilled with fresh fluid; no change in OD. I have bought a new trans filter to put in, but wanted to give it a couple days with the new fluid, to mix with the old that stays trapped in the torque converter during a pan drain, before another drain but with filter change too this time.

If it turns out that OD just will not operate, this car will have to get resold ASAP. I commute 70 miles a day for work, and have to have something with good fuel economy.

Thanks for any help y'all can give me.

--Jess
'98 GLS

·
Registered
130 Posts
i dont think it's a problem if your first post is asking for help, this is why forums like this are around.

about the problem with your car, i have a good feeling it's the shift solenoid, i also heard if the TPS goes bad that can cause a problem with the shifter, not sure how that works tho

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hmaservice.com You can sign up for free at that site as well... it has some good suggestions on where to start.

Hyundai must have scanned the stuff, its hard to read

·
Registered
156 Posts
i never knew about that hmaservice link, i`ll keep that bookmarked

are there any other links like that for help with the Hyundai Sonata
If I find more, I'll post them up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts