Sonata Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my mom got a letter from the general sales manager at Hyundai. The letter was about that he wants buy my mom's sonata and that he will offer 'aggressive offer'. But we aren't sure about whether to sell or keep it. Any advice?

·
Registered
374 Posts
weird how he wants to buy YOUR Sonata, i know sales people usually get really good deals that dont need an aggressive offer.

if you dont care much for it, i guess you can sell it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It's a sales pitch to upgrade. All dealerships do this. Likely to upgrade to a new model or another model. They give you a decent price for your car and give you a nice price on the upgrade. Desperation lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's a sales pitch to upgrade. All dealerships do this. Likely to upgrade to a new model or another model. They give you a decent price for your car and give you a nice price on the upgrade. Desperation lol
That's not usually the case when you're dealing with dealerships; they want to make as much money off a sale as they can, so they usually low ball you on your trade in, or car you want to sell whether you use it as a trade-in or not (especially if you have mods; they don't give you credit for them) and then put you in a car that you think is a deal but it really isn't.

I was looking for a place to post this "information" and decided this would be an appropriate place to do it. With great regrets, but also much joy, I am leaving the forum; I have sold my 2009 Sonata Limited 3.3L V6 and "graduated" up a couple notches. The reason I wrote what I did in the previous paragraph is because I just went through "negotiating" with dealerships and car buying companies to sell my Bad Nata:).

In addition to the Sonata, I also own a 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track and had been considering, if I ever got rid of the Sonata, to go to the next step which is the Azera. As my signature says, there's no replacment for displacement, so even though I do like the new Sonata's, they can't hold a candle to the cars that have the V6 engine(s) in them.

I came across a deal I couldn't pass up for a 2012 Genesis sedan that had only 15K miles on it and it was $7K less than MSRP; plus I had $4500 in "equity" on the Sonata because the final selling price that I had to go with was more than what I owed on it. Took the $4.5K and put that towards the Genesis and got it for about $28.5.

When I went to the dealers and car buying companies, they all low-balled me and didn't want to give me "credit" for the mods I had done; what makes it really bad is they were selling similar cars for $15 - $16K and these cars weren't half as nice as mine; plus I'm sure when they turn around and sell the car, THEN they will mention the mods and charge the new owner for them; so I ultimately went with the price Carmax gave me which was $12.5K (the other "bids" I got where anywhere from a low of $10105 to a high of $12K). So now I'm a "complete" Genesis owner with the sedan & the coupe. :D Yes, I am sad to see the Sonata go and I hope she finds a good home, but look what I have now!

So, it is with, as I stated before, sadness and regret, but also joy that I basically leave the forum (well, not really leave, but won't be posting much). I'm active on the gencoupe.com forum and will be looking for a forum for the sedan. So to all the guys that I "fellowshipped" with, thank you! Oh, and if anyone is interested, I did abscond with my all weather mats and my trunk cargo tray, so if you'd like to purchase, let me know!

Here's the Genesis Sedan, I've already ordered her plates; she will be christened, the SLVR GEN. I wanted SLVR BLT but it was taken, and then a friend said people would think I was talking about the sandwich, lol.

·
Registered
156 Posts
nice upgrade! I want to upgrade when they come out with the awd model... I'm too afraid to drive rwd in the snow :\

although I'm only 2 payments away from paying it off...

·
Registered
109 Posts
nice upgrade! I want to upgrade when they come out with the awd model... I'm too afraid to drive rwd in the snow :\

Well Ricer, first THANKS! I think I got a pretty good deal. If you don't mind having payments (which will be more than you're paying now most likely) again for like the next 5 years, if you're considering trading, the sooner the better. I'm holding on to the Coupe until they put that Tau V8 engine in one, then I'll trade it, LOL.

Like I said, you're not going to get ANY compensation for the mods you've done unless you can sell it to a private party, and judging from the participation here in the forum, doesn't seem like there are many people interested in "souped up Sonata's", lol, at least not the NF generation ones. :mad: One of the things I always heard when looking for performance equipment was, "Oh, there's nothing made for that car because there's no market for it."

Other than that, the dealers and car buying places are just going to give you a price based on the year, your standard & optional equiment (factory installed), your mileage and the condition (what the car looks like inside and out) of the vehicle. I used to have my own car detailing business so mine was better looking than when I initially drove it off the lot @ Carmax; all the people who looked at it commented that it was "immaculate" and looked like a new car.

Anyway, enough preaching, lol. Much success with your trade experience and thanks for all the help and information you gave me here in the forum...and see you in the Gencoupe forum! :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, I kindof figure they won't give anything for the mods I've done. If I was to trade it in, I would try to turn it back to stock as I still have most of the parts in my garage somewhere. But I'm leaning on not buying another car. It's nice to know I have extra money each month :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
That's not usually the case when you're dealing with dealerships; they want to make as much money off a sale as they can, so they usually low ball you on your trade in, or car you want to sell whether you use it as a trade-in or not (especially if you have mods; they don't give you credit for them) and then put you in a car that you think is a deal but it really isn't.

I was looking for a place to post this "information" and decided this would be an appropriate place to do it. With great regrets, but also much joy, I am leaving the forum; I have sold my 2009 Sonata Limited 3.3L V6 and "graduated" up a couple notches. The reason I wrote what I did in the previous paragraph is because I just went through "negotiating" with dealerships and car buying companies to sell my Bad Nata:).

In addition to the Sonata, I also own a 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track and had been considering, if I ever got rid of the Sonata, to go to the next step which is the Azera. As my signature says, there's no replacment for displacement, so even though I do like the new Sonata's, they can't hold a candle to the cars that have the V6 engine(s) in them.

I came across a deal I couldn't pass up for a 2012 Genesis sedan that had only 15K miles on it and it was $7K less than MSRP; plus I had $4500 in "equity" on the Sonata because the final selling price that I had to go with was more than what I owed on it. Took the $4.5K and put that towards the Genesis and got it for about $28.5.

When I went to the dealers and car buying companies, they all low-balled me and didn't want to give me "credit" for the mods I had done; what makes it really bad is they were selling similar cars for $15 - $16K and these cars weren't half as nice as mine; plus I'm sure when they turn around and sell the car, THEN they will mention the mods and charge the new owner for them; so I ultimately went with the price Carmax gave me which was $12.5K (the other "bids" I got where anywhere from a low of $10105 to a high of $12K). So now I'm a "complete" Genesis owner with the sedan & the coupe. :D Yes, I am sad to see the Sonata go and I hope she finds a good home, but look what I have now!

So, it is with, as I stated before, sadness and regret, but also joy that I basically leave the forum (well, not really leave, but won't be posting much). I'm active on the gencoupe.com forum and will be looking for a forum for the sedan. So to all the guys that I "fellowshipped" with, thank you! Oh, and if anyone is interested, I did abscond with my all weather mats and my trunk cargo tray, so if you'd like to purchase, let me know!

Here's the Genesis Sedan, I've already ordered her plates; she will be christened, the SLVR GEN. I wanted SLVR BLT but it was taken, and then a friend said people would think I was talking about the sandwich, lol.

VERY NICE step up. Love Genesis sedan's.

With a good set of winter tires and proper throttle control, driving a RWD vehicle in the winter won't be a problem! Speaking from experience :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
As my signature says, there's no replacment for displacement, so even though I do like the new Sonata's, they can't hold a candle to the cars that have the V6 engine(s) in them.
The 2.0T will blow the V-6 away. You should test one. You'll be surprised.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts