Sonata Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No doubt, you have all heard about the sudden acceleration problems that plagued the Toyota Group, mainly in North America, for a couple of years. Now, a driver is putting the blame of a car crash that occurred this past Sunday, May 6, 2012, in the South Korean city of Daegu, on a sticky accelerator. The said car is the latest generation Hyundai Sonata YF sedan.

What makes this incident of particular interest is that it was captured on film by a dashboard mounted camera in the Sonata, which is something we don't remember seeing before in crashes relating or alleged to be related to sticky accelerator pedals.

The 30-second long clip shows the Korean sedan stopped at a light with a previous generation Hyundai standing in front when the Sonata appears to accelerate. At this point, we hear a conversation from the driver and passengers as well as a sound that may or may not be from the handbrake being lifted.

From there on, the Korean sedan appears to accelerate uncontrollably with the driver passing several red lights, narrowly avoiding a couple of crashes only to end up rear-ending a stopped car at a speed of 117km/h (72mph) - at least according to the GPS data displayed on the video.

Korean news sites said that the Daegu Nambu Police is investigating the accident and has asked the National Institute of Scientific Investigation for help.

Any assistance from our Korean readers to translate what is being said in the video, would be appreciated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
**** he was going fast i dont understand tho, he had to have pressed the pedal all the way down for it to accelerate that fast and then get stuck, but he was at a light with people in front of him so....

·
Registered
115 Posts
hilarious video that was posted around the time when toyota had this problem..

some of you may have already seen it but if not take a look for a good laugh...
keep the volume low if people are around lol

·
Registered
171 Posts
Whatever happened to...

So, whatever happened to turn the key off? :rolleyes:

Also, It even though I do not understand Korean it seems like they are relatively calm

·
Registered
63 Posts
So, whatever happened to turn the key off? :rolleyes:

Also, It even though I do not understand Korean it seems like they are relatively calm
Never turn off the Key unless you can stop in a straight line. I had my Hyundai OEM All Weather Mat slip and stuck to my accelerator pedal. The Car went out of control and the brakes were not able to stop me. I was able to pull of the road and turn the key off after sticking the Sonata in N. As expected the wheel locked and the brakes had less stopping power but I stopped. Got out of the Car and saw what happened. The mat was for an 08-10 model with an extra hole. The 06 does not have this hole but fits perfectly!

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
The girl was saying "What's going on?" (repeated several times) The guy was saying, "I'm not doing this." (repeated several times) And then the accident. It's a southern dialect of the Korean language.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Never turn off the Key unless you can stop in a straight line. I had my Hyundai OEM All Weather Mat slip and stuck to my accelerator pedal. The Car went out of control and the brakes were not able to stop me. I was able to pull of the road and turn the key off after sticking the Sonata in N. As expected the wheel locked and the brakes had less stopping power but I stopped. Got out of the Car and saw what happened. The mat was for an 08-10 model with an extra hole. The 06 does not have this hole but fits perfectly!
and that is why I hate universal floor mats.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Do people not know what N means on the shift lever? Not for anything but I'd rather put my pistons through the hood than rear end someone at highway speeds...

·
Registered
63 Posts
and that is why I hate universal floor mats.
No, these were Official Hyundai OEM mats, same size, just with the extra hole for the 08, 09, and 10 model. I would have never thought this would happen and I did everything 100% correct, once I realized the Car was out of control. This is all happening at about 85 mph. There were many calculations that needed to be done in a very short time. The V6 Sonata has a lot of power and now I personally snap in the mat after any detail work. This was really dangerous. Great mats only $19 plus shipping, of course with that revised second hole. I did see a full set on Ebay right now for $59. The YF All Weather Sonata mats are $125

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/LOOK-LOW-PRI...A==/$(KGrHqJHJDIE7BcvkTEGBO4P79Po2!~~60_1.JPG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts