Sonata Forums banner

Anyone had this problem yet?

7K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  mchebert78 
#1 ·
Was driving back from Wisconsin with a buddy who has an 2011 2.0t...anyway we take a left onto the bypass and the car starts making a horrible ticking noise. We both looked at each other and knew that wasnt good so i pulled over right away. It got louder and softer with the adjustment of the throttle. We got out popped the hood and it was still ticking so my buddy went to give it some gas so we could see where it was coming from. He didnt get a chance because the car died. I then attempted to restart the car and it wouldnt turn over and then it started billowing smoke. So as it sits right now my car is an hour and a half away from me sitting at a dealership dead. The service manager tried to start it when it got dropped off and it wouldnt even attempt to turn over. He says hes guessing an alternator but ive never heard an alternator tick that loud. My first thought was a lifter(possible oil starvation) but oil was fine. My thing with the alternator is that the car should still start up if the battery has juice correct? I mean idk with these new engines if there is a fail safe of some sort? My dealer and this dealer in WI said they have never heard of a single problem like this(yet) It could be totoally unrelated but i turned the eco drive on right before we turned onto the highway.

So yeah...what a shitty day....339 miles on it when it croaked. Ill keep you guys updated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. Yeah I told the service manager I'm like I've never heard a ticking that loud from a bad alt. So I guess we'll see what they say. But I'm not really comfortable with the fact that it already broke down. Who's to say something else isn't gonna fail also in another couple hundred miles.

#7 ·
My dealer is waiting to hear from his Hyundai rep...says hes not sure if they will even replace it. As of now its got a "new" engine on its way to be installed by maybe the beginning of next week. Still an hour and a half away from home also. Pretty sad my new car needs "new" motor lol. Picked it up the 3rd, broke down the 7th, might have it back by the 16th maybe 17th. I already told them i dont want it back...that will show on the carfax history and totally ruin any value the car has upon a trade in or resale.

#9 · (Edited)
My dealer is waiting to hear from his Hyundai rep...says hes not sure if they will even replace it. As of now its got a "new" engine on its way to be installed by maybe the beginning of next week. Still an hour and a half away from home also. Pretty sad my new car needs "new" motor lol. Picked it up the 3rd, broke down the 7th, might have it back by the 16th maybe 17th. I already told them i dont want it back...that will show on the carfax history and totally ruin any value the car has upon a trade in or resale.

As long as a 2011 2.0T has less than 100,000 and no signs of abuse Hyundai warranty doesn't leave room for Hyundai to not at least repair the engine (if it can be).If they give you stastic either file in small claims if limit is high enough or get a lawyer famiar with vehicle warranties.
ps typical 'lemon' laws require multiple efforts to fix without success. This is a strightforward case of specific vehicle fitness.

#10 ·
If they throw another engine in wouldn't it be a rebuilt title? If it's under warranty I would demand for another car. It's pretty bullshit considering its under 1000 miles.

When **** like that happens and the car dies it's usually the motor.. I've seen this happen to some Genesis coupes before. Turbo motors..

#12 ·
2011 2.0T ticking

My 2011 2.0T just had the same ticking issue followed by a viloent shudder and a loud pop. The dealer called and told me that tip of the spark plug in #3 had fallen off and created the misfire and high compression. I'm going to get it today and it better be right. I'll post back after I drive it around this evening.

#13 ·
2011 2.0T back from dealer

Well, I got my 'nata back and the dealership really didn't have an answer to why my spark plug tip in #3 broke off and disappeared or why the porcelain on #2 was broken. They replaced all 4 of the plugs and returned my car to me. She seems fine now, once I left the dealership I put her through the paces and had her cooking at 130+mph, felt strong and responsive, no abnormal engine noise detected. I'll keep working the engine over the next few days, but from what I can see and feel, the issue has been resolved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.