Sonata Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes. You could use the mini dsp. Add the cost of the two items and you're going over the price of the dsp from helix.

I know I keep harping on the helix dsp, because that is as low as I would suggest for sound quality. Don't get me wrong audiocontrol makes a darn decent DSP and you'll love it....I certainly would use it. The only reason i did not go that route is i already had all my equipment.

Audiocontrol DSP DM810 is the one I would go with as it gives you more flexibility. If you want BASS, go with this one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I thought the mini 6 from helix was the dsp. I couldn't find the one that you were talking about. I will look at the audiocontrol and check it out. Budget is kind of an issue. I don't want to have to spend $1,000 just to begin to upgrade.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Let us start there.....what's your overall budget? What equipment or speakers do you already have? What speakers are you looking at?

I know that in my car with the basic head unit, if the rear door speakers are not sensing a "load", there is no bluetooth phone. For this, these are the pieces that worked for me....mosconi 6to8 DSP, rockford fosgate 360.3 (rubbish....you get crazy BASS but the rest of the system sounds like crap), Fix86.

Let me give a rundown as to why I say the Fix86 over the lc7i. The fix 86 processes the signals and offers a remote trigger, this works well and does not give you the turn on or turn off pops. The lc7i kinda does the same with jumpers you have to open up the unit.....then, the summed output is basically the first 2 channels; meh if you ask me.

The 360.3 and helix dsp are made under the same parent company, however the 360.3 is rubbish compared to the helix counterpart. DO NOT BUY THE 360.3, you'll regret it after trying to tune the system. The HELIX dsp can be found online on Amazon, ebay, or just simply Google it. The helix dsp brings you into the realm of Sound Quality with all the benefits, including soft turn on and turn off, high level input from the stock head unit - processing the channels to give the same results as the Fix86, THEN, offers all the EQ functionality you need.

The DM-810 from audiocontrol will allow you use the accubass function to fill out the bass to your liking and it will sound good as well.

In the past, I've used audiocontrol EQ and Xovers, there is such a thing called noise floor. Not saying you only get this with AC units.....you get this with any and every unit, it is only a matter of how much of this "static noise" you hear - this also depends on how your amplifiers are matched up.

This response is getting a little long winded.... the long and short of it is that the processing will set you back at least $600, from there you turn your attention to amps and speakers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Let us start there.....what's your overall budget? What equipment or speakers do you already have? What speakers are you looking at?

I know that in my car with the basic head unit, if the rear door speakers are not sensing a "load", there is no bluetooth phone. For this, these are the pieces that worked for me....mosconi 6to8 DSP, rockford fosgate 360.3 (rubbish....you get crazy BASS but the rest of the system sounds like crap), Fix86.

Let me give a rundown as to why I say the Fix86 over the lc7i. The fix 86 processes the signals and offers a remote trigger, this works well and does not give you the turn on or turn off pops. The lc7i kinda does the same with jumpers you have to open up the unit.....then, the summed output is basically the first 2 channels; meh if you ask me.

The 360.3 and helix dsp are made under the same parent company, however the 360.3 is rubbish compared to the helix counterpart. DO NOT BUY THE 360.3, you'll regret it after trying to tune the system. The HELIX dsp can be found online on Amazon, ebay, or just simply Google it. The helix dsp brings you into the realm of Sound Quality with all the benefits, including soft turn on and turn off, high level input from the stock head unit - processing the channels to give the same results as the Fix86, THEN, offers all the EQ functionality you need.

The DM-810 from audiocontrol will allow you use the accubass function to fill out the bass to your liking and it will sound good as well.

In the past, I've used audiocontrol EQ and Xovers, there is such a thing called noise floor. Not saying you only get this with AC units.....you get this with any and every unit, it is only a matter of how much of this "static noise" you hear - this also depends on how your amplifiers are matched up.

This response is getting a little long winded.... the long and short of it is that the processing will set you back at least $600, from there you turn your attention to amps and speakers.

Hey man, I like winded. It's helping me to understand this at a level I have never dealt with. So Googled "Helix DSP" and the first that came up was that Mini 6. SO with that being said.....

I have no speakers or amps yet. I'm not looking to compete, I just want it clear and loud. I'm a big Alpine fan, but I have not even looked into the amps or speakers yet. I have been consumed with trying to understand how this all works.

Whatever unit I do buy, I'm going to have to save up and piece this together, so I want to know what I'm getting into and do it right. I miss the days of dropping in a nice unit and that was it. LOL

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
"Gone are the days" of dropping in a unit and calling it a day, lol.

I can assist you in getting the helix unit, however, you have to be ready to pounce. A buddy of mine has one Brand New In Box and he's asking $650 for it, shipped.... if you are ready for that piece, I could ask him about it for you.....see what I mean?

As to the rest of the equipment, i can assist you in getting these as well. Look up the Focal FPS amps...use those. OR, you can go with others....I will help you as best as I can to walk you though it.

You can text me 347.987.6066 as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you! I'm not ready yet. When I start, I will want to go until tis done, So I need to get it all pretty close to at once. Plus, I'm still not 100% sure on how this all gets installed. I want to understand it before I remove a single screw. Just me, I'm funny like that......

So now that we are sure I should get the Helix, how did you connect this to the factory unit? Is it before the factory amp? Do I have to splice into the SPDIF? Do we catch the signal AFTER the factory amplifier? I guess after, which explains the need for the DSP and the reshaping of the syne wave.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You are correct. The DSP goes between the factory amplifier. It then reshapes the factory curve, TA, Xover point, EQ points to give you a full range signal at the respective outputs.

I ran all new OFC speaker wires to my doors for speakers and tweeters; this way, I can run my amps and drivers active if I would like. This I would recommend to anyone so that "tomorrow" when you change your mind, you have flexibility.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
There is a newer, less expensive Helix DSP mini. This will give those with basic audio setup the opportunity to have 6 channel output from the DSP. With this "mini", the user will have great control over their simple setup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is a newer, less expensive Helix DSP mini. This will give those with basic audio setup the opportunity to have 6 channel output from the DSP. With this "mini", the user will have great control over their simple setup.
Hey again bud. It's been awhile, but I have been saving and working.... And I actually landed a deal on a fix-86 for half price. So, knowing that I now am going with the fix-86. What would you recommend for an EQ between the Fix and my amplification?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hey again bud. It's been awhile, but I have been saving and working.... And I actually landed a deal on a fix-86 for half price. So, knowing that I now am going with the fix-86. What would you recommend for an EQ between the Fix and my amplification?
What is your budget?
What is your desired outcome?
Are you planning to run the system active or passive?
In any regard, I love the way we can run the Helix DSP or the Mosconi 6to8. I am a firm believer in using these as the bases for any "lower" spectrum systems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Knowing that you have the fix-86 in your hands, it makes it that much easier to run practically any DSP on the market. However, I am more partial to Mosconi and Helix. Wht you may ask.....simply because I have yielded the best results using them. The next step up is get into a BRAX dsp or something along the lines of BeWith, but those are uber expensive.

Don't get me wrong, there are other companies out there, such as audiocontrol, Dayton, Fosgate, and quite a few more; I always return to these two.

Using these two gives you differences in adjustability, however, gives an awesome result. What I like about the mosconi is that it offers a lot more tuning frequencies to your liking. The Helix on the other hand gives you way for flexibility with the subwoofer phasing, and, it has a built in RTA.

MY $0.02c.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts