Sonata Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks back I started to get a bad smell in my car (smelled like fish). I decided to investigate the smell and found what looked to be mice making a nest with comforter stuffing in my cabin air filter. They also started to eat through it. I cleaned all of this out and got a new cabin air filter. After a few days of letting things vent out (including a day letting the car windows open for 4 hours) and putting air freshener the smell still remained.

I took the car to the dealer and asked them to look around more and see if they could find anywhere else the mice may have gotten. They did not find anything but said they doubled checked the cabin air filter and that was fine. They suggested cleaning out the evaporator box for the ac. They gave the car back to me and said things were better. They let it run on cold ac for 30 minutes and on heat for 30 minutes.

After letting it sit for the rest of the day while inside at work I returned into the car to head home and was greeted to the funky smell yet again. When I got home I took the cabin air filter sprayed it with febreze and also sprayed inside of each vent. Things seem to be better for now but I do not think this is going to last long. The weird part is it is only when the car sits for a while. When I let it vent for a bit things are good to go until the car sits for about an hour or so.

After reading around on things I think there is something else that is causing this lingering issue. Some say it may be something with the radiator or the ac unit.

Has anyone run into this before? Does anyone have any suggestions of next steps to take?

The dealer said they did not know what else to do besides come in every 6 months to have the filter replaced which has not fixed the problem yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you still having issues with a smell in your car? I have the same issue, but no dead mice or anything else to be found...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem in my 2011 Genesis. To me, it smells like urine. It is especially bad in the warmer temperatures and it is definitely coming from the vents. Hyundai needs to get it figured out! I am not enjoying getting in to this car and frankly, the odor is embarrassing! This car is suppose to be competing with the Lexus?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It seems the problems by the hood hinges, where the fresh air cowling is, put in some steel wool. We know that the mice are coming in to my car, through there. We also have a 2011 Sonata and dealer charged us 169.00 Canadian to clean it etc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There are many parts inside that a mice could reach, especially the little ones and could stuck. Vent is one of worst part when it comes to smell. It will take a few weeks before the smell goes away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone my name is Bob Singh,Canada. i bought a white 2015 Sonata GLS with 55000 kms on it.
Car works fine but really great on gas in city with AC ( 11-12 liters/100 kms ) .

and my main problem is my AC/heater vents. its nice cool day out and i wanna roll my windows up and use outdoor air ( with AC off and heating knob on cool - Blue side ) but still blow warmer air( the more i turn the temp knob to less cool side more warm air comes out . :( . i went t dealership and complaint about it but they said Cant duplicate problem. and i replaced cabin air filter too, but still same problem.

i complaint them may be my heater stuck on heating but no action taken from them,

any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts