Sonata Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
BDS System Malfunction

I have 2014 Sante Fe XL and the BDS System Light comes on.
I took the car to the dealer to check, just checking cost me $110.00. The Dealer told me that the parts is not warranty even I brought the extended warranty on my SUV. The total cost is about $2,000.00.
I was very upset and disappointed why it is not covered under the warranty and why should I brought the extended warranty for? I will never buy another Hyundai Cars again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bsd

I purchased a brand new 2015 Sonata off the show room floor 6 months ago ( June 8th 2016 ), I have less than 3000 miles on the car today ( Dec. 24th 2016 ), with less than 100 miles on the car my BSD began to cancel itself out...wouldn't reset until cutting the car off and then restarting car....a few miles later BSD cancels itself out again. I've been told that it's a software issue and they ( whoever "they" are ) are working on a patch to fix the problem. I got a phone number and have been talking to a person (Jason) at Hyundai Motor America out in California, I live in Va...but so far he has yet to answer my one question, are "they" working on a software patch....but per Jason,I left my car at the dealership all day yesterday 12/23/16...they said the BSD didn't cancel out when they drove the car around, I took the service guy a ride up the rode...less than 2 miles BSD cancelled itself out...I cut the car off...started the car back up,less than 2 miles going back to the dealership it cancelled itself out again....Service Manager at the dealership(Craft Hyundai) tells me that Hyundai Corp is telling them that that's the way it is suppose to work...I don't think so!! May be time for me to get a lawyer. By the way...even if you cut the BSD off ( button on the dash ) it will still cancel out. S C Clark,Lynchburg,Va

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2016 Sonata Limited 2.0T and the BSD canceled once when I was on a trip. I found that there is a note in the 2016 Owner's Manual (that was not in my 2015 manual) that the system will cancel if not detecting a vehicle in a long time. I was on a 2 lane country road with no other cars or trucks when it did cancel. Since then it has worked properly. Of course Stacy is having a bigger problem if it cancels in only 2 miles. It should be covered in the first 60K miles if a Hyundai. My dealer replaced a broken cruise switch at 45K miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Such are the problems with high tech. As inconvenient as this blind spot detector issue may be, if anyone read the John Phillips piece in Car and Driver a couple of years back, when his Cadenza hit FULL EMERGENCY STOP! out in the middle of nowhere on a Montana interstate...Now, imagine your "helper" doing that in heavy traffic or very fast-paced traffic.

These electronic geniuses are two-edged swords.:eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I spent 2 days trying to figure out why my Blind Spot Detection System was malfunctioning. Took it to my Dealer where I bought my 2015 Hyundai and explained what was going on. My system kept turning itself off after driving it approximately 20 minutes and the driver side mirror indicator would stay on all the time. No traffic front rear or side either. What I finally figured out after my dealer could not figure out what the problem was that kept my system shutting off. I had recently purchased some chrome accent pieces that fit along the bumper mid line of the number and ran up the side of the rear panel. It turns out that chrome accent piece was the problem. I reread my owners manual and it stated their should be nothing on the bumpers as it may affect the functioning The this system. That includes bumper stickers and such. I took the accent piece off and now the system is functioning properly. Apparently the sensors in the rear are actually located in the upper rear panel on the side of the car and my chrome piece went right across where the sensor beam was located. Food for thought for anyone else having an issue with the sensor system. No stickers or such on the bumper.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We got a 2017 Sonata limited and the BSD hasn't worked right since we've had it. Taking it back to the dealer this week. Hopefully they find out what the problem is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my 2015 Sonata Limited 2t NEW in March 2017, the passenger side BSD did not work at all from day one. The dealer initially wanted to replace the passenger side-view mirror, I refused to let them do that because there is no sensor within the mirror AND they would need to paint a naked replacement mirror with aftermarket paint...no dice! Interesting the rear cross traffic warning on that same side (uses the same rear bumper corner sensor) did work. After numerous testing and attempted re-calibration by the dealer they decided that the bumper corner sensor was faulty. In order to replace it, the rear bumper had to be removed. Sensor replaced and all works perfectly. That bumper comes off and on very easily, if you have the instructions. Just a bunch of nuts and it is self aligning. You can see and touch the sensor from the tail light access panels on either side in the trunk but the sensor can not be pulled out from that access.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Sonata Hybrid and the BSD Canceled waring has come up on the screen multiple times and then it goes away after some random time. I tried to press the BSD button but nothing happens. Bigger problem is the BSD display msg blocks the rest of the info screen and does not go away. Car has less then 3000 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sensors not aligned correctly in the body panel. Thats why its so random from car to car. Manufacturing defect, should be a recall soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sensors not aligned correctly in the body panel. Thats why its so random from car to car. Manufacturing defect, should be a recall soon.

Module bolts to body, nothing to "align"... Calibration of radar in GDS Software Mgt tab.. had 1 that been around shop,, started to remove bump cover and found ear broke off BSD unit,, looked at bump cover and found where cover been hit and push into module and break it..

Been an update come out a few month back to program BSD in a few chassis for remedy of certain concern,, dont recall what it is about..

Did have go around with a '14,, was told the 14 is the only year to use this system supplied by different vendor..

·
Registered
17 Posts
1st thing I did was turn mine off.

Don't need them flashing. I can see out the mirrors.

If it had automatic braking.

It would have to be the 1st thing to turn it off.
If I had to take it to the dealer.
And I would ask for a Discount when I bought the car if it was even on the car.

I will decide when the brakes are used.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there!

We have a Sonata 2014 2.4L we noticed it was using a smaller battery than it need, it was 480 CCA, so we replaced it with a 750 CCA. Same day in the afternoon it started with the BDS warning, I put it in Park and the transmission locked it was impossible to change it to Drive, so turned off the car and turned back on and I was able to change it to D, then the D on the dash disappeared immediately I noticed a power loss of the engine, turned off the car and then turned it on the car started to work normally so every time the D disappeared changed it to Neutral and then back to D and it showed the D on the dash after a couple of seconds it disappeared againg.

Tomorrow we will go to the mechanic but I'm worried about this issues.

If anyone passed trough this please let me know I will appreciate any help.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts