Sonata Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started looking at the engine bays of our YF Sonata and I noticed something interesting:

2.0T Intake:

2.4 Intake:

Two things that strike me as interesting is that the 2.0T has a much larger opening for allowing more air in, and second, the 2.4 has a tank to the side at the opening. I haven't personally inspected this tank looking thing on my car yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's some sort of intake silencing mechanism. To me, it also looks like the part is interchangeable between cars. I'm considering buying the 2.0T air inlet duct and see if it can be installed on my 2.4. My main goal is I've already installed a K&N drop-in filter and I've noticed a *slight* change in sound, but I'm hoping that going with the 2.0T part will allow more air and hopefully remove any silencing.

I've checked the Engine thread and haven't seen anything similar posted. Has this been already attempted? If not, I'm going to order the part this weekend and give it a shot next week. Maybe I'll even record a before and after video to show the difference (if any).

·
Registered
374 Posts
Good question. I think that extra part is suppose to silence it, would be horrible to have a loud car from factory for the average person.

I haven't seen anything like this attempted but if the configuration from engine to engine is the same, i don't see why not.

Just make sure it will be worth while, cost vs performance gain. If you don't care about having a bit more engine noise but want more performance, maybe you can add a cone to the end or just go for a full intake.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's where I'm kind of at. I totally understand why they added the silencer, they did the same thing on the Genesis Coupe 2.0T since most people would probably freak out hearing a turbo spool :p I've never really felt comfortable with Cold Air Intakes and I don't really care for the SRI options out there. If they come out with a similar design like the R2C intake for the Genesis Coupe 3.8, then I'd be all over it. It utilizes the OEM air scoop for cold air, uses a cone filter and has a very effective heat shield. Currently what's out for the Sonata doesn't tickle my fancy and I don't know if there's going to be any more options down the pipeline. I found the 2.0T intake air duct for $50 shipped so I figure that I'm going to give that a shot.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yeah that's where I'm kind of at. I totally understand why they added the silencer, they did the same thing on the Genesis Coupe 2.0T since most people would probably freak out hearing a turbo spool :p I've never really felt comfortable with Cold Air Intakes and I don't really care for the SRI options out there. If they come out with a similar design like the R2C intake for the Genesis Coupe 3.8, then I'd be all over it. It utilizes the OEM air scoop for cold air, uses a cone filter and has a very effective heat shield. Currently what's out for the Sonata doesn't tickle my fancy and I don't know if there's going to be any more options down the pipeline. I found the 2.0T intake air duct for $50 shipped so I figure that I'm going to give that a shot.
$50 is worth it! Sure beats paying $300 for a loud CAI or SRI that you won't be happy with. Keep us posted on it! DIY would be awesome

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$50 is worth it! Sure beats paying $300 for a loud CAI or SRI that you won't be happy with. Keep us posted on it! DIY would be awesome
That's what I'm thinking! :) I think I'll start a build thread dedicated to the minor mods that I'm doing to my Sonata to serve as a guide for others that don't want to do anything too crazy to their car :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It might work since it's almost the same. Maybe you will have to find a way to fix the entry of the air duct.
Hopefully I'll find out soon enough, should be here by Monday the 8th. (Thanks slow UPS Ground!) I was too cheap to pay sales tax for the dealership located closer and would have probably been here tomorrow :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good find! I wonder if the whole airbox is different/larger. In all reality, CAI's and even replacement panel filters don't really flow much better and only add 1-2 hp, in some cases less. Also, going over to oil panel filters like K&N have been known over time to gum up/throw off MAF readings on BMW's. Which is interesting to mention since the MAF on some E46 BMW's is the same Siemens part # as it is on some Hyundai's (just costs much less). Check the vid below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIxeQUSg-Q

Other examples:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ance-2012-gt-k-n-replacement-filter-test.html

http://forums.nicoclub.com/debunking-the-k-n-myth-why-oem-is-better-t180100.html

I bet if the airbox as a whole is larger, along with the Air duct, swapping that into a 2.4 would yield better gains over an aftermarket system. Think bigger panel filter, more air, bigger duct, more air. It wouldn't be noticeable, but the marginal increase versus price paid might be worth it. Especially when 2.0T guys switch over to CAI's and are looking to sell off their stock boxes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I looked on K&N's website just to figure out if the air filters between the 2.0T and 2.4 are the same size. They are both the same part # so they have to be the same size.

The only real difference I'm seeing between the 2.0T airbox and 2.4, aside from the larger air intake duct, is the Top half that goes to the throttle body. If the lower part of the box is the same, which it looks to be, all we would have to do is swap out the intake duct and lower portion of the airbox with one from a 2.0T, everything else would remain the same.

2.4 Engine

2.0T Engine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts