Sonata Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honestly I've been wondering about the Brembo brake from the Genesis coupe ... I'm curious if the stock brakes from the Sonata can be replaced with little or no modifications at all? I don't have any complains about the stock ones however the Sonata would look nice with thos Brembos.

·
Registered
99 Posts
its possible, but its also possible to be unlikely. My question being what do you need Brembos for on your Sonata? it just seems like a waste of money for not a very fast car...

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well basically I know it might be a waste of money however I would like the Brembo brakes to have the functionality, and to able to stop the car in case of an emergency however for aesthetic purpse too. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you want better brake performance than the stock brakes try this setup. 2005 XG350 2 piston calipers up front with Optima turbo 12.6 inch rotors. The rears can be improved by using Optima turbo rear calipers which have 38mm pistons vs the Sonata's 34mm. The nice thing about this setup is that you can still run 17 inch wheels in the winter for your snow tires. If you want some bling paint the calipers. This setup really works. Much better braking with less petal effort.

·
Registered
222 Posts
usually with calipers its just a matter of making a bracket that'll fit.

Its never impossible. Depends how far you are willing to go.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Brake upgrade...

its possible, but its also possible to be unlikely. My question being what do you need Brembos for on your Sonata? it just seems like a waste of money for not a very fast car...
Amazing as it seems I know, my Sonata goes 100 mph just as fast as my neighbors Porsche! This really pisses him off to. :rolleyes: For me I get upset when he stops faster than I do.

I can count two times that I would have really appreciated a much shorter stopping distance. Especially if lanes had been changed by the vehicle in front of and to my side. :eek: Just as was done to him! So this is a mod I am looking into for my Winter Mod Decisions. "WMD's." Done correctly, I see this is a good upgrade rather than just a mod.

It does no good to go fast, if you can't stop just as or faster than what got you in this situation to begin with...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Brake upgrade...

If you want better brake performance than the stock brakes try this setup. 2005 XG350 2 piston calipers up front with Optima turbo 12.6 inch rotors. The rears can be improved by using Optima turbo rear calipers which have 38mm pistons vs the Sonata's 34mm. The nice thing about this setup is that you can still run 17 inch wheels in the winter for your snow tires. If you want some bling paint the calipers. This setup really works. Much better braking with less petal effort.
Is the balance between the front and rear brakes maintained with these brake changes and mods?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is the balance between the front and rear brakes maintained with these brake changes and mods?
12.6 inch rotors up front and 38mm piston rear calipers is what KIA uses on the turbo Optimas. I upgraded to the 2 piston XG-350 calipers slotted Disc Italia rotors front and back, Hawk HPS pads up front and ECB redstuff pads on the rear. I have had NO indications of any brake balance problems. I have seen no increase of ABS engagement.

Two negatives to this mod: More brake dust from the pads I'm using and the donut spare for my 18 inch 2012 2.0 SE will not clear the XG-350 calipers. So if I get a flat on the front I'll have to put the donut on the rear and use the rear road wheel up front.

I need to find a Optima turbo donut spare to see I it would clear the XG-350 calipers since the turbo Optima run 12.6 rotors.

Try this mod, you might give that Porsche a run for the money on stopping distance. The improvement in braking is amazing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Amazing as it seems I know, my Sonata goes 100 mph just as fast as my neighbors Porsche! This really pisses him off to. :rolleyes: For me I get upset when he stops faster than I do.

I can count two times that I would have really appreciated a much shorter stopping distance. Especially if lanes had been changed by the vehicle in front of and to my side. :eek: Just as was done to him! So this is a mod I am looking into for my Winter Mod Decisions. "WMD's." Done correctly, I see this is a good upgrade rather than just a mod.

It does no good to go fast, if you can't stop just as or faster than what got you in this situation to begin with...
you could have freight train brakes and you're not stopping in the winter time. Please don't try and pass this off on me as Winter Safety. You need tires for that. Good summer tires will also stop you shorter than the shameful drek the factory sells to us.

Brembos don't solve following too close...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Now Hyundai wants to introduce a performance sub-brand, so with that happening soon I bet we'll see brembo brakes on quite a few performance models

1 - 10 of 10 Posts