Sonata Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Charlotte, NC. I have a 2012 Hyundai Sonata which I really enjoy and have done many modifications to. I look forward to talking to you and learning that much more.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice spokes there on your sonata. Looks a little lower (?), what kind of underhood work have you put into it?

Welcome to the forums BTW :cool:
Thank you, sonny. It has been lowered an inch and a half all the way around using Eibach Pro-KIt Performance springs. As far as under the hood I have a K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake. As for as I'm concern, it's not really a cold air intake, but rather a short ram intake. Either way it does a good job. I also have a Ultra Racing Strut bar under the hood as well as Ultra Racing upper and lower anti-sway bars up front. As far as anything else under the hood, that's about it other than HID lows.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a better picture of the K&N intake.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Welcome to the forum, nice car! I'm debating whether If I should put HID in the Sonata since my last car had them (6000K) and I heard the wiring harness it's required... if I decide to install them I might put 4300K just to be safe but I don't know if the halogen projectors are a good candidate for that. How's the ride quality with the Eibachs and handling with the strut bar and sway bars, does it make a big difference to the car?

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum, nice car! I'm debating whether If I should put HID in the Sonata since my last car had them (6000K) and I heard the wiring harness it's required... if I decide to install them I might put 4300K just to be safe but I don't know if the halogen projectors are a good candidate for that. How's the ride quality with the Eibachs and handling with the strut bar and sway bars, does it make a big difference to the car?
The handling with the Eibachs, strut bar and sway bars improved greatly from stock. I took her up into the mountains the other weekend and was impressed how it handled the tight curves.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the way Sonata SE... my HID lows are 6000K and installed using a wiring harness. Some say you don't need it, but for safe keeping I had one installed anyway. With the ballast, you get a constant voltage draw. IMHO

·
Registered
171 Posts
UR Sway Bars

The handling with the Eibachs, strut bar and sway bars improved greatly from stock. I took her up into the mountains the other weekend and was impressed how it handled the tight curves.
Nice car! Do I understand correctly that you only installed the Front Sway Bar only and not the rear? How did that effect your oversteer? I have the UR Strut Bar and am awaiting the arrival of the UR Rear Sway Bar. In conjunction with this I will put the stock SE Bar (27MM) up front. I want the Oversteer improvement with the rear bar and also the added handling of the front.

Welcome to the forums by the way.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I have... it's definitely not a great amount of performance increase, but a performance non-the-less.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice car! Do I understand correctly that you only installed the Front Sway Bar only and not the rear? How did that effect your oversteer? I have the UR Strut Bar and am awaiting the arrival of the UR Rear Sway Bar. In conjunction with this I will put the stock SE Bar (27MM) up front. I want the Oversteer improvement with the rear bar and also the added handling of the front.

Welcome to the forums by the way.
No, I do have front and rear Ultra Racing sway bars, and bushings and it handles very nicely. The front is 24 mil and the rear is 20 mil.

·
Registered
99 Posts
although FWD cars typically suffer understeer, installing only the front sway would induce a little bit of oversteer that could actually guide the Sonata through corners a little smoother....

Your right, definitely short ram, for a cold pipe you'd have to snake it to a cut out in the fender or right down the grill...

Looks good though for real..

·
Registered
171 Posts
Performance increase...

Yes I have... it's definitely not a great amount of performance increase, but a performance non-the-less.
Little bits, add up to larger bits, which means an overall increase in performance! :) It wouldn't be any fun if just one mod fixed it all now would it.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very nice. What power range have you noticed it be more effective in? low end or top end?

How long did install take you?
I found it's more of a top end increase. I didn't do the install, it was done at a Hyundai dealership recommended by Hyundai USA. I was told by my dealer it would void the warranty so I called Hyundai USA about that. I was told it wouldn't at all and they gave me a case number. They also asked me to have a dealership install the K&N Typhoon short ram intake and they recommended a dealership for me to do the work. I'm glad and I'm happy. I think it took about 45 minutes to do the total job.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
although FWD cars typically suffer understeer, installing only the front sway would induce a little bit of oversteer that could actually guide the Sonata through corners a little smoother....

Your right, definitely short ram, for a cold pipe you'd have to snake it to a cut out in the fender or right down the grill...

Looks good though for real..
Thanks sonny! I know there is no way I'm going to get high performance out of my Sonata... I just like it to look nice and not like one that came from the same cookie cutter like you see all over. It's clean, unique, and it's mine. :)

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Little bits, add up to larger bits, which means an overall increase in performance! :) It wouldn't be any fun if just one mod fixed it all now would it.
Very true himilcyclr!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.