Sonata Forums banner

Custom Coldair Intake For 2011 Sonata 2.4L

7K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Concept-3 
#1 ·
Hi everybody, i know i'm new on the board... but here is a crazy thing me and a buddy of mine thought of, we did a sort of a cheap alternate intake system, but came up with a full true cold air system for the brand new Sonata 2.4L engine...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Mid-size car

but we were overlooking at it today, we were considered getting the K&N intake system. i thought, what if we actually created a true cold air intake system, that relocates the filter complete out of the engine bay? we did a couple tests today, with the factory intake, to the open filter setup (like the above pic), and my custom cold air setup (below picture), and wow did notice a difference in sound and power between the factory intake, to the open filter set-up, to the true cold air setup... we saw a 3hp increase with the open filter compared to the closed factory setup, but when we switched out for my cold air intake, we saw a 6hp increase... we even did 3 back-to-back pulls on the dyno, just to see if they power could and would be consistent, and it was a success... let me tell you do, the sound that came from the car was completely different, a lot louder than having the open filter, because the second resonator that's located right before the throttle body, being removed made a much nicer tone...

so in conclusion i was wondering, if i do create a intake like this, would you fellow sonata people be interested in it...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Headlamp

Concept-3 :)

See less See more
#2 ·
how does it look when finished, all i see is that its coming out of the top of the hood, are you suggesting people now cut holes in the hood?

if that is the final product, whats the cost to us, and how long would it take to get one, as well as whether or not it will include instructions

#11 ·
I'm thinking the based price will be $275.00 pure unit

probably but he might get some buyers
I'm hoping so... =D... fingers crossed

Hey concept, im new here too but i have a question about the first intake. I tried the same thing but the filter just wouldnt stay on. almost as it was to heavy for the stock tubing, did you do anything different than just putting it over the tube?

Thanks
On the first unit, you can't see it, but under the filter i got a bracket that looks like a C bracket, slipped on of the filter clamp, and the other onto the factory bottom air box.

#10 ·
Prototype has been made

Hey everybody, My name is Will, and I've came out with a pure true cold air intake system for the 2011 Hyundai Sonata's 2.4L's. This is not based like the K&N Setup, where they create a simple heat shield and called it a cold air intake. But I've have relocated the filter completely out of the engine compartment, in to the drive side wheel well. I've created the prototype peace, and it's working wonderful. The sound, throttle response, and just the smoothness of the power curve is amazing. I've also have dyno graph of the unit, but will put it back on the dyno in a week after the car settles the unit in. Here is a teaser shot the unit, showing where the filter is now located at. I'm planning to make a bulk made, wondering how many people here would actually be interested in this unit... Thank you for you time looking... =)

http://www.sonataforums.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-engine-technical-discussion/95-real-cold-air-intake-2011-hyundai-sonata-2-4l.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.