Sonata Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hyundai has given the Sonata a handful of revisions as part of the mid-cycle update for the 2014 model year. The all-new model is like a year or two away anyway, but whatever.

Changes to the design include a new grille design, LED tail lamps, available HID headlamps and revised 17 and 18 inch wheel designs. Noise cancellation is improved through the use of new wheels, foam in the A and B-pillars, and upgraded carpeting.

A new steering system will allow drivers to choose between three levels of resistance for the car's electronic power steering.

The interior gets a few upgrades too. The SE and Limited models get a full-leather steering wheel, a color audio screen with rearwiew camera integration and a color LCD screen in the gauge cluster. The Limited model gets a newly standard driver's seat ventilation system, and the SE model gets some carbon-fiber interior trim.

Lastly, a blind spot detection system is optional on the SE and standard on Limited, and a Vehicle Stability Monitor comes stand on all models.

All this for only a $155 bump in price.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is a nice smattering of updates to the Sonata. The real change will happen at the mid-cycle refresh. I think it was smart to increase the noise insulation, as that adds a lot to ride comfort. I also happy to hear about the rear view mirror, but I think that should come on the standard model.

Any changes you guys would have liked to have seen, but didn't?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@mr.smith

This is the mid-cycle refresh!

There should be an entirely new Sonata coming out in a year or two though. I think that many people will just wait for the all new moedl to come out instead of buying the refreshed model.

Isn't that always the way it is with buying a car? You could buy one now, or you could wait a few months or a year and buy something that just came out and is newer. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Sonata already is a great vehicle. I think that we will see an amazing new Sonata in a few years. So I have to agree that it may be getting ahead of yourself to buy now, Waiting for the new Sonata will likely be a better option. What do you want out of the next Sonata?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've owned my '11 Sonata for only a few months. Only a few complaints: (1) the car allows much more road noise than my previous vehicle (an '08 Chev Malibu). (2) the heated seats are fairly weak. (3) the horn is embarrassingly poor. (4) The steering isn't quite as responsive as I'd like.

All that being said: those are minor/nuance issues - and this mid-cycle refresh seems to address them all + adding a few niceties like the ventilated seats, etc. All in all, my Sonata seems to be a wonderful vehicle so far. I purchased mine with only 22k on it - and I'm at about 28k right now. I love how much room it gives me. The powertrain is nothing short of delightful -- very responsive and quick and you don't pay a penalty for it at the pump. My only other gripe -- and this isn't a knock against the Sonata itself, is that the factory tires are absolutely awful. These may need replacement by 30k. If they were any worse, I think you could actually see rubber fall off the tire while it sat in my garage. I've never seen tires lose tread so quickly (and I drive mostly highway and very conservatively, btw).

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've owned my '11 Sonata for only a few months. Only a few complaints: (1) the car allows much more road noise than my previous vehicle (an '08 Chev Malibu). (2) the heated seats are fairly weak. (3) the horn is embarrassingly poor. (4) The steering isn't quite as responsive as I'd like.

All that being said: those are minor/nuance issues - and this mid-cycle refresh seems to address them all + adding a few niceties like the ventilated seats, etc. All in all, my Sonata seems to be a wonderful vehicle so far. I purchased mine with only 22k on it - and I'm at about 28k right now. I love how much room it gives me. The powertrain is nothing short of delightful -- very responsive and quick and you don't pay a penalty for it at the pump. My only other gripe -- and this isn't a knock against the Sonata itself, is that the factory tires are absolutely awful. These may need replacement by 30k. If they were any worse, I think you could actually see rubber fall off the tire while it sat in my garage. I've never seen tires lose tread so quickly (and I drive mostly highway and very conservatively, btw).
GM's are know to be better insulated, the Malibu is a boarderline luxury car, so in a Korean car like the Sonata more road noise is expected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My old Malibu was very quiet.. but I find the Sonata and the Malibu are very comparable vehicles. There are a LOT of things I like about my Sonata - and the road noise was just an adjustment to me -- and it's not like my Sonata is loud -- just not as quiet as what I was used to. That being said -- the 2014 seems to have improvements/additional noise insulation.. so I must not have been the one wanting a more quiet cabin.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My old Malibu was very quiet.. but I find the Sonata and the Malibu are very comparable vehicles. There are a LOT of things I like about my Sonata - and the road noise was just an adjustment to me -- and it's not like my Sonata is loud -- just not as quiet as what I was used to. That being said -- the 2014 seems to have improvements/additional noise insulation.. so I must not have been the one wanting a more quiet cabin.
Fair enough, some car makers just focus on one area more than others. Buick for example is focused on making interiors quiet as ever. Clearly Hyundai doesn't care much about that, i guess because it's demographic doesn't care.

The noise in Hyundai's kind of help to add to their character.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts