Sonata Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We leased a new 2011 Sonata Limited Turbo and started having mechanical issues immediately. The brakes would “pop” audibly, with an unexpected drop in the brake pedal under completely random circumstances. The dealership looked at it several times, but never came up with an answer, and the problem persisted. The transmission was rebuilt twice, the power steering would quit while at highway speeds, the chrome trim on the interior would crack and peel, and the car would often simply not start, requiring towing. The service department was nice and always gave us a loaner, but nothing was ever fixed with only one trip to the shop. Upon turn-in at the end of the lease, we were 6k miles under our limit, and the car was in excellent condition, but we found we could not trade the car in anywhere. Hyundai made so many of them that it reduced the cars value. Hundreds were for sale locally, and no other dealership would consider it as trade. Even the Hyundai dealership didn’t want it back, so we decided to just return the car and walk away. However, Hyundai Motor Finance then wanted to charge us hundreds of dollars to give the car back, to cover their own expenses. We were nice about it, never being rude or demanding, and Hyundai said they’d be happy to work with us and waive all fees, if we leased another Hyundai. When we explained that the experience was not so great that we wanted to repeat it, they effectively told us not to let the door hit us on our way out. They were very dismissive, almost offended that we didn’t want another car from them. My wife and I have been leasing cars since the early 90’s. We have never been asked to pay a disposition fee, or to replace tires, even when switching brands. This is a Hyundai policy that suits Hyundai, not their customers. After speaking to many different Hyundai representatives, I came to the conclusion that customer satisfaction and retention is not critically important to them. I will not consider another Hyundai vehicle for a future lease.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow, that isn't a great story to hear about. If you aren't going to stick with Hyundai, what brand of vehicle do you think you will lease next?

I'm surprised there were so many problems with your Sonata. I haven't heard of there being that many issues in the past. It's also too bad about the customer service.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.