Sonata Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets see what you folks got.

Post up a picture of your ride and let us know what lowering items you used and what wheel choice you went with.... Include specs like wheel manufacturer, style, width, offset, backspacing...etc...

READY....GO!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Good thread. I actually wondered what 20's look like on a Sonata. Seems like 20's on the right sized low profile tires will look good and not like a Donk! lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
Lets see what you folks got.

Post up a picture of your ride and let us know what lowering items you used and what wheel choice you went with.... Include specs like wheel manufacturer, style, width, offset, backspacing...etc...

READY....GO!

You do realize that going to 20 inch wheels and trying to stay close to the original tire revs per mile means dropping the profile to 35 as in 225/35x20 tires.Your ride quality will deteriorate considerably. For those of us who drive race cars thats Ok but most people don't. Just so you know.
And of course you need to check manufacturers rim width recommended.

·
Registered
374 Posts
You do realize that going to 20 inch wheels and trying to stay close to the original tire revs per mile means dropping the profile to 35 as in 225/35x20 tires.Your ride quality will deteriorate considerably. For those of us who drive race cars thats Ok but most people don't. Just so you know.
And of course you need to check manufacturers rim width recommended.

Good point. But if looks is what you want and don't mind sacrificing some ride quality and don't care at all for performance, might as well get 20's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello
I have a month old 2014 Hyundai Sonata GLS, and just last week I went from the stock 15" alloy rims it had, to some 20" rims. Like a user said above me, I really don't care about performance at the moment, or ride quality. It definitely has decreased the comfort and smoothness of the ride as how it was stock (especially going over torn down and forgotten train tracks) but as far as looks go, I'd say I'm extremely satisfied. I did, however, get them from a previous owner, with tires installed. As soon as I installed them I noticed extreme road noise. Turns out that when tires on bigger sized rims start to wear out, road noise will increase drastically. There at about 30-40% tire tread. Could be good for a few more months.
As far as throttle and engine response, it does feel heavier, as if the engine needs to reach SS3 to get the car going or when stepping in the pedal all the way.
Cruising speeds it's perfect, with no need for passing power or quick starts from red lights.
What I'm considering next is if coilovers or lowering springs are recommended for that wheel size.
Rims size: 20x8.5 +35 offset all around.
Tire size on rims : 235/35/20

I read on another post, if you're planning on going to 20, 20x10 would create fitment issues. Js

1 - 20 of 32 Posts