Sonata Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all. i was driving home a few weeks ago and started getting smoke from under the hood and car shut off. pulled over on the highway and checked all fluids and everything looked good. scanned the car and got a crank shaft position sensor error and car would not restart but would crank.had the car towed home and replaced the sensor and eventually got the car to start. ran rough and was billowing white smoke out of the exhaust and some from the back of the engine. took it to the dealer to have it looked at and they said the engine needed to be replaced. of course blamed it on user error and do not want to cover the costs. we bought it used and have only had it 6 months. fluids are checked every 3 days and it has always been well maintained. the dealer says its bearings.there is no bearing noise and they cant really give me an explanation of how they came to that conclusion. i guess my question is would anything other then a blown headgasket cause all the smoke. could something be wrong with the variable valve timing that would do that. i can tear it apart if i have to just looking for input. thanks

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L
6 Posts
hello all. i was driving home a few weeks ago and started getting smoke from under the hood and car shut off. pulled over on the highway and checked all fluids and everything looked good. scanned the car and got a crank shaft position sensor error and car would not restart but would crank.had the car towed home and replaced the sensor and eventually got the car to start. ran rough and was billowing white smoke out of the exhaust and some from the back of the engine. took it to the dealer to have it looked at and they said the engine needed to be replaced. of course blamed it on user error and do not want to cover the costs. we bought it used and have only had it 6 months. fluids are checked every 3 days and it has always been well maintained. the dealer says its bearings.there is no bearing noise and they cant really give me an explanation of how they came to that conclusion. i guess my question is would anything other then a blown headgasket cause all the smoke. could something be wrong with the variable valve timing that would do that. i can tear it apart if i have to just looking for input. thanks
If it's still under dealers warranty, take to the dealer, they'll fix for free.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts